A little Playing with the Ninja Foodi Max 7.5 litre

 In the kitchen has gone on today.  Not what I had in mind when I went down earlier today, but nevertheless I decided to have a play with the Ninja Food Max 7.5 litre version as there are a couple of functions I have not used yet. I do use the Pressure-cooking function an awful lot, that is perhaps down to the fact that my Mum always used one and I was taught how to use it from about the age of 14 years of age. I also had one when I married and since have been with himself, I have always had a couple as I have used them extensively. And they do not phase me at all.  In fact, the newer electronic models are very easy and safe to use.

I started off making some Swede and Carrot mash, which I prepped by peeling and then cubing both carrot and swede and then popping it in a little water and cooking on the Pressure cooker function for about 20 minutes.  It came out perfectly cooked and then was finished off with a little butter, and then mashed with a standard vegetable masher.  I could not locate my potato ricer at the time of dealing with this so the old-fashioned masher it was.





I then packed the mash into a glass dish, covered with foil and let it stand in readiness to be warmed up later or when needed. After it has cooled after serving up later on, it will then live in the fridge for further meals.

After that we had a washing up session and then I put the chicken in the Ninja on the Roast function.  The chicken was popped on for 50 minutes and the 1.6kg chicken was cooked within that time, and came out a lovely golden brown, with the chicken being really tender as in the photos below.  The first photo is the chicken in the Ninja which had just finished.  The second is the chicken decanted onto another tray.




I had prior to putting the chicken on started off my roasties by blanching them and then popping into trays with a little pork dripping fat.  For some reason the oven seemed to take forever and did not seem to be browning the roasties very well, so I made the split decision to pop them into the meat juices from the chicken and then gave them 15 minutes.  They browned up really well within that time, and so that it something that I will do again.  




If you take your chicken out of the Ninja bowl and leave it to cool under foil on a tray, you have enough time to cook your roasties from scratch (must be blanched), and also get the rest of your veggies on and get your gravy made before serving up.  Our gravy was made from the meat juices in the Ninja today.


The best bit is I have managed only to use one breast of the chicken and so we have plenty left for tomorrow evening.  





I am not sure whether we will have veggies tomorrow or not or whether we will have chips with the chicken.  Will see what happens.  

We were also glad to have chicken tonight for tea, after three or four bowls full of the stew in different variations but there are still two good helpings at least of stew left so that has been popped into a glass jar and will be popped into the fridge in case we want something during the day.  It has served a purpose fed us and kept us warm.

We do not have standard bowl sizes of stew; if you look at the photo below you will see a small yellow bowl inside a larger bowl.  The small yellow bowl is the standard size soup bowl, the larger bowl is actually a pasta bowl (not a serving one) and we have that full about up to an inch from the top of the bowl so there is a lot of stew to go around.






It has therefore been a very busy day, the kitchen is in a bit of a pickle, and I am just about to load the dishwasher as I cannot face another round of washing up and drying.  I then intend to sit down and do a bit more crochet work on my blanket.

Hope you have all enjoyed your day.  I certainly enjoyed getting to play, but I must get on with other jobs I am not really in the mood to do.  Must focus Tricia, must focus.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. What a productive day. I have a traditional old-style pressure cooker, bought when I was a student, nearly 50 years ago. I've replaced the rubber gasket a few times but otherwise going strong. Thank you for showing the versatility of your ninja!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Angela, I still have one of my old pressure cookers too. The Ninja is very good, but it is working out a system of using it to create where possible a full meal. With the older pressure cookers you could do this, but I think I am finding my way around it. Mum used to use the old pressure cooker everyday when we were growing up. And I think that whether you use the traditional pressure cooker or can invest in something like the Ninja they produce very good food. The Ninja Foodi Max which is the one I have, isnt just a pressure cooker, but a slow cooker, you can saute/sear, bake, roast, dehydrate, make yogurt, slow cooker etc. Pressure cookers are for me an essential part of a kitchen as for stews and pie fillings in particular they make the meat lovely and tender and it draws out the flavours from the ingredients to make a lovely gravy. Glad yours is still in service all these years later. Am off to make some chicken stock for soups and stews during the week. Take care Tricia xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts