Breakfast in the Cooler Months

Is very important first thing, as that is when our blood sugar is at its lowest.  Therefore, it is very important to have something to eat first thing to kick-start your system for the day. That is why it is called "Breakfast" because you are literally breaking the fast! It is especially important now colder days are starting to increase as we slide ever further into the season. I am very mindful of the fact that we need nice warm breakfasts that do not necessarily involve a fry up.  

I have many memories of going to my Grandparents' home and eating breakfast around a small two stool kitchen table with steaming bowls of porridge being served up hot off the Rayburn followed by thick slices of Nan's homemade bread turned into slices of thick golden buttered toast.  This was served with my Granddad's honey or one of my Nan's many jars of home-produced jam.  Always a substantial breakfast and washed down with lots of hot cups of tea.  

From what I understand from my dad was that often in the winter months, my Granddad (who we called Pop) and my dad used to leave the house at about 6am of a morning and walk into Lincoln.  They lived in one of the outlying villages a good 6 miles from Lincoln. Whilst a long walk during the summer months, it was difficult during winter, as often these roads were covered in snow which had drifted and by the time that my Granddad got to work at Rustons and my dad to the Grammar School, they would be cold and damp.  Therefore, a good breakfast was always necessary.  We are so lucky today, but then people rarely owned cars and "Shanks' Pony was the only way to get anywhere.

I normally have cereal or Muesli of a morning, usually with a yogurt or some fruit but during the cooler months I like my cereal usually served with hot milk. Because of the worries concerning energy and being able to afford what we use; I am kind of taking a step backwards in that OH whether he likes it or not is going to have breakfast that does not involve a fry up to help keep him warm.  Our own central heating systems (which are all so different need stoking from the inside to make sure that we keep warm) during this colder weather.


OH, has therefore been popped onto Porridge of a morning before he walks the dog.  He has the option of toast and something as well if he wants it (usually a soft cheese spread or indeed cheese on toast), but something very simple to start the day off that is cheap, fills you up and does not cause any harm. Fry ups are all very well, and I do like the occasional breakfast but not often whereas OH would live on Fry ups if he had a chance and pennies permitting.  Not quite my style though.

I had considered making the porridge the evening before in the slow cooker, but it only takes 3 minutes on my Gas hob from boil so that kind of defeats itself on the energy front.

You need 40g of porridge oats and 1/2 pint of milk per person i.e., when I make for the pair of us that equates to 80g of porridge oats and a pint of milk.  I used powdered milk made up for using in the porridge.  Oats are popped into the saucepan with a pinch of salt and milk added.  No sugar added, bought to the boil, and then cooked for three min stirring continuously until thickens.  Take off heat, serve into bowls and then just a little cold milk on top for serving.  OH, was given a sugar alternative to use, and I sprinkled a little sugar on mine.  Gone down very nicely on yet another cold morning. Something substantial from a humble oat.  I am going to make some readymade packs up though to make my life easier in the longer term, including adding dried milk, a pinch of salt and all that will need to be added to the packs is 1 pint of water.  The packs have been prepped for serving two people.  I also want to make it idiot proof in case himself ventures into the kitchen (not likely but better prepared than sorry).


Of course, you can add toppings like nut or seed mixes, (jam or Golden Syrup), fruit, dried spiced fruit, peanut butter to the cooked oats.

I bought the porridge oats from the Co-Op a kilo bag. Cannot remember what it cost as porridge oats are kept inhouse here as I use them for making my homemade Flapjacks, and also for Muesli and Granola. You can also use them in crumble toppings, breads, cakes, cookies, overnight oat pots for breakfast, oat milk, used to eke meat out a bit further, meat loafs, meat balls.  A little also goes a long way.  An ingredient that for me has so many uses, and which is relatively cheap, and which has earned its place on my Pantry shelf.  Who can resist Flapjacks warm and golden and fresh from the oven!  Energy bars in their own right.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I am on the same page as you and usually have oatmeal for breakfast. I put in fresh fruit or dried cherries when I cook it, yum.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts