What next!

 Rumours about there being no Turkeys and now no eggs 

Well, we have decided (or himself has at the moment) that we are not having Turkey this year but something else.  Turkey is his favourite and as it is once a year, we normally pay for a free-range bird.  Not this year though with a quote of £80.  Apparently, the Government have also sanctioned that Farmers can freeze the birds in advance this year as well.  

And now we hear that there may not be enough eggs to go around on top of that. Avian Flu and other factors means that many Farmers are not earning a living from the egg industry, and I believe are giving up as a result. What a mess this country is in on the food front. I think it is about time that the Government got its finger out and started to implement a sustainable food supply for this country, where we grow as much as we can.  In the interim it is clear to me that we cannot rely on the Government - not that I had much hope in that respect anyway and it is about time that we all started to do a lot more for ourselves on the food front where we can.  This is really sad as on the food front this country is more than capable of producing its own. Situations where crops have been ploughed back into the land or disposed of is sacrilege and should not be happening under any circumstances.  What a waste.  If we all started to grow something, it would ease things along for us individually and help in easing off relying on the supermarkets.  Especially if a group of you got together and then shared crops between you or had a "Preserving" day (obviously led by those that can, teaching those who have never had a go)! It would make for a greener economy and have a better effect on our environment if everyone grew a bit of something. 

I normally do a few bits and bobs, but last year we were away and there was no one available for watering up.  In the end we were away for about 13 weeks, so nothing got done.  Next year though I am going to get a few things underway reasonably early and then ask my stepdaughter if she will babysit the garden! Anyway, I digress!

I normally buy a tray of eggs, medium sized and get about 30 to the tray.  I am currently paying £4.50 a tray (before all this hoo ha, I was paying about £2.50 to £2.75. This normally lasts me a fortnight.  We use a lot of eggs. I would if I could store my eggs in Lime water or Waterglass them. I have never used or had a go at these methods of preservation.  However, I understand that the eggs have what is known as a "bloom" which is a natural coating that keeps the eggs fresh, and that this really only works with eggs that are home laid and unwashed.  My only access is to shop bought ones.  These eggs have undergone a washing process before being sent to the shops.  That therefore defeats the object a bit. Pending on what happens I may have to look for an alternative to eggs.  On brief investigation I understand that apple and bananas make good substitutions.  I think in practice apple is used more often as the banana has quite a taste still of banana.  Will have to look into that further.

The other day when at the Butcher's I decided to bring home one of their chickens.  I was taught that a chicken should have a nice, rounded shape that looks equal on the neck and at the Parson's nose, as it is a good indicator that it is a healthy bird with no problems.  Anything that looks bent or uneven keep away from.


There is plenty of meat on the breasts.




Today, I have cooked a roast chicken for tea.  I served it with mashed potatoes, Romanesco Broccoli, Cauliflower, peas, carrots and a couple of chipolatas with plenty of gravy.  Has gone down very nicely.


If you are wondering what the white thing is in the cavity, it is an onion peeled and then chopped in half and popped inside the chicken.  It helps to keep the bird moist when cooking.  It was also covered in some butter to add to the flavour and also crisp up the breast.



I must say that tea went down very nicely.





The Chickens I buy are not cheap and they come from the Butcher.  This particular one was £9.50, but they really are large birds I would estimate a good 4.5 to 5lbs.  The breasts are solid meat, and they taste like proper chicken should. I will get at least three to four meals out of this, together with stock from the carcass.  We have only used one chicken breast between us.  Tomorrow is a repeat performance as I have as usual prepped double the amount of veg so it will be a ping job.  When my Nan was alive, I used to plate up meals for her and then freeze them.  She did not like the bought meals and my Mum, and I used to do this between us so that she ended up with good, tasty food during the week. We used to stock her up.  If I had a freezer, I would be doing this now for us, like I did before.  In reality we all get fed up with eating the same thing all the time, however in practice I have always found that a roast always goes down well. So, if we got fed up with something I just used to freeze it and then we had ready meals available in the freezer.

I have a lot to do in the kitchen this week.  Several little cooking jobs, and several little preserving jobs that need doing. I seem to have lost my Hex bottles which is frustrating as I know I had a full case of bottles.  They seem to be playing hide and seek with me.  Like Topsy they will turn up.  I will just have to get on with something else until I find them.

I also have some Pickled Onions to make. That will happen sometime this week as I want them out of the way with. I have not bought as many Pickling Onions as I normally do but a few will be better than none at all.  I also have some more Beetroot to cook and pickle.  OH, eats a lot of pickles.

Right am off to watch some TV and do a little crochet.  Still plodding on with the blanket/throw.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts