Making Chicken Stock

Today I have made Chicken Stock in the Ninja.  I have used the pressure cooker function to prepare this.  I decided to make the Stock today, as I need it for part of a meal later in the week, and this is an integral part of the recipe. It is a no meat recipe, and will probably be had during the day rather than as a full evening meal. I must say that I can live off Soup.  OH is not a fan.  Every so often though I put my foot down and make a scuttle full and he is free to have some if he wants some.  More often than not though he does not have any which means that there is more for me.

Making the Chicken Stock

This does not need to be made in a pressure cooker it can be cooked in a pan on the top of the cooker or in a slow cooker overnight.  I am using the Ninja though for quickness and economy (I have other things to do) and I believe more flavour is imparted into the stock if you use the pressure cooker function on the Ninja or just generally a pressure cooker.  I am a great advocate of a pressure cooker, especially for a family as it is a way of producing a meal quickly and economically.  My mum used one all her life, it was therefore integral and part and parcel of our everyday life and I was taught to use one fairly early on.  

If you have a chicken carcass or two (keep them in a freezer, if you are not ready to use straight away and then use them another day when more time is available), it also makes economic sense to make your own stock as that way you are not wasting anything.  In this day and age that is so important.


Ingredients

A chicken carcass and any chicken scraps, skin and bones

A dash of Cider Vinegar

2 litres of water

2 Medium sized Carrots

1 Large onion

1/2 a leek

1 Bay Leaf

a little celery leaf

1 Clove

Some mixed herbs (or Bouquet Garni, or Herbes de Provence)

White ground pepper


Method

To a pan add a chicken carcass which has been broken down, together with any leftover scraps of meat, the skin and the bones.  Add 2 litres of water.  Centre the bones in the middle of the Ninja or the middle of your saucepan.

To the water, add a Tablespoon of Cider Vinegar.  Then add a couple of medium sized carrots (I top and tail but as long as the carrots are washed I do not peel), a large sized onion, a little sliced leek (you do not need much about half a stick) and a tiny bit of celery.  I prefer to use a tiny bit of celery leaf.  You have to be careful with this as it can be too strong and you need a nice balance of the veggies. I do not like cooked celery but will quite happily eat it raw.

Lastly I add a good pinch of some Dried Mixed Herbs, or a Bouquet Garni or some Herbes de Provence, and One Clove (Spice not Garlic). Finally a good sprinkling of white pepper.  I taste the stock at the end, and if it needs more white ground pepper I add this then.




Pressure Cooker:

I am using my Ninja Pressure Cooker. I set the machine for 45 minutes, put the lid on and process for 45 minutes.  Then vent the machine once it has finished cooking. Once vented and the pressure is released, take off the lid, and then strain the contents through a sieve into a separate large bowl.  This is your stock and should be stored in the fridge overnight.  In the morning it should have a layer of fat/oil on the top and this will need skimming off.  Store in the fridge and use for soups, casseroles, stews or wherever you would use stock.

After the liquid part i.e the stock has been sorted, remove any chicken from the sieve if there is any to remove and pop into a separate dish and store in the fridge.  Sometimes there is a lot and sometimes there is not very much.  If there is enough you can add this to a Chicken stew or sometimes the dog and the cats get it shared between them if there is not much.  Do not waste it though. Might be good for making Coronation Chicken for sarnies which would be an extra sandwich filler for packups during the week. The rest of the contents of the sieve can then be discarded.

Saucepan/Stock Pot:

If using a saucepan or Stock Pot, process after bringing to the boil for about three hours on a gentle simmer.  Then finish off as per the instructions for the Pressure Cooker above.

Slow Cooker:

I leave on overnight.  I then finish off as per the Pressure Cooker instructions above.

I am lucky in that I have the Ninja as it is quicker to process this way and more economical.

I am looking to can my Chicken stock on a regular basis once my Pressure Canner is back in action.  I intend to make a load of Chicken stock for the Pantry shelf and make it shelf stable.  This is done in a Pressure Canner (not a Pressure Cooker). Canning different stocks and storing them on the Pantry shelf, will make things easier when it comes to cooking meals.  Also for me the attraction is making something out of nothing apart from a bit of time and effort, which will enhance your home cooking.  This for me is a particular aim as I do tend to use a lot of stock of different sorts in my cooking, particularly soups, stews and gravies.

My Pressure Canner is poorly at the moment it needs some new spares.  I had saved up to get a new Pressure Gauge and Pressure Regulator.  I managed to damage the Pressure Gauge where it got left in water and badly marked the scale on the gauge and I have lost the Pressure Regulator; sadly just as I was about to buy it, the money was needed elsewhere so I have not been able to replace or use it just yet.   Come the Spring, I am hoping to be in a position to replace the necessary spares.  Until then if I have fruit etc I will use the hot water bathing method of making the fruit shelf stable.  I also have a Pressure Steamer and large pans to use on the hob.  I can therefore happily carry on with adding to the Pantry shelf with these sorts of items.

Tonight's tea was an old favourite around here.  The leftovers of the Cottage Pie, I made yesterday as I had more mince to use up.  It makes a nice filling and warming tea.  Pudding was some tinned peaches for a change.  That sorted us out for tonight's tea.  

Photos will follow later on.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts