Busy Day and Chow Mein

It has been a cold but bright day here in Peterborough.  Jobwise, It has been a bitty day today.  I have been busy but nothing substantial that I have sorted just lots of bits and bobs; rather mundane overall but jobs that needed doing.

I was originally going to make this with the left over chicken from Sunday lunch, however decided in retrospect to follow the recipe and use fresh chicken breasts which had been sliced up. Mainly because I did not have enough left over chicken, but I may try it with leftover chicken next time now I know how much chicken is needed. 

I was just about to start when I realised that I could not locate any Five Spice powder.  I know I have some, but could I locate it.  Nope.

I therefore trundled round to the local shops.  The Co-Op did not have any!  I therefore went to the Asian shop to see what they had.  I found some, and also came back with a bag of Mixed Herbs which I use a lot of and also a bag of finely ground Pink Himalayan salt which I use in cooking.  So some extra bits for the Pantry shelf as well.

Anyway, I digress slightly. I have never made this before so it is a new to me recipe.  This is a BBC Good Food recipe and the link is here:

Chow Mein Recipe




It was relatively easy to make.


Ingredients:

5oz medium egg noodles (I am using dried ones off the pantry shelf)

Dash of Sesame oil (in cupboard)

11oz Chicken Breast Fillets sliced into strips

2 Tablespoons of light Soy sauce

1 teaspoon of Five Spice powder

1 teaspoon of Chilli sauce (optional)

1 Tablespoon of Cornflour

1 Tablespoon of Groundnut oil (I am just using Sunflower)

1 Red Pepper thinly sliced (already in fridge)

5oz Bean Sprouts (bought new)

1 Spring Onion (I am using a Leek)

Freshly ground black pepper

I have also added two medium size Pak Choi


Starting with the Noodles - cook as per the instructions provided on the pack in a pan of boiling water.  I had a pack of fresh noodles.  You cook them until al dente, and then rinse in cold water and drain a couple of times and then mix in a little sesame oil.  This is to prevent the noodles sticking together.


Finely slice chicken breast meat and then make a paste for it.  This consists of a dash of Soy Sauce,  a Teaspoon of 5 Spice powder and some chilli sauce mixed together and then mixed through the sliced chicken.  I only had sweet chilli dipping sauce which was not really strong enough says me the person who is very cautious with chilli as it has upset me in the past. Probably better with a Srircha sauce to give a little bit more flavour.  I was using what I had to hand.



Once the meat has been mixed in with the paste you then coat it with a light dusting of cornflour.


The meat is then cooked in a hot and smoking Wok.  Once smoking you then add Sesame Oil and then add the chicken stir frying it until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.



The slice red sweet pepper is then added and stir fried for about 1 minute.  You then add the Spring Onion (I used Leek finely chopped) stir frying for about 30 seconds.  You then stir in the Pak Choi if using like me, the Bean Sprouts and the Noodles.  Stir fry until everything is warmed through and nice and hot.  Season with Soy, Sesame Oil and freshly ground Black Pepper.







Pile it up on a plate, or as we do into bowls.  

All served up and ready to eat.




Quite a substantial meal would easily serve four.  OH has finished it off.  Veggies were nice and crunchy.  Although a light meal in many respects it has gone down very nicely.  Would make it again, just adjust the chilli a bit.  Will make with leftover chicken as well, just have to make sure have plenty of chicken available.

I am now going to sit down, watch a couple of You Tube videos and then do a little knitting.

Hope everyone has a lovely evening.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. That looks lovely and you can now save on "boughten" stir fry sauces by making your own blend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have been playing around with orange and pineapple juice for sweet and sour sauces, as well as this one. I tend to be a bit cautious with flavourings until I get to know the recipe a bit. I am always extra cautious with chilli as although I like a mild to medium chilli, the chilli upsets my system quite badly. We stopped buying curries in from an excellent restaurant as one Chef used to get things just right for me extremely mild and another one would put a bit more in and it was not enjoyable and too hot for me which when you are paying out a lot in the first place kind of defeats things a bit. I think I still have somewhere my Mum's recipe for a sweet and sour chicken which has a lot of ingredients you would not necessarily put in today. Its in my big blue recipe book which seems to have gone walkies for the time being x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts