And Weather stopped Play

 We were all geared up to do a little gardening today - well a bit more tidying so that I can see what I have to deal with more than anything else. I am still being hampered by my arm and can only do so much at a time, but I figured that if I try and do a bit each day it is going to break the job down into smaller tranches which make the job less overwhelming. It is also good on the exercise front, and is accomplishing a long outstanding job to boot.  Also good for getting me outside and into the fresh air so that I can simply be in the moment.  Something that calms the mind but is beneficial to the soul as well as the body.  I suppose it was this latter bit that I was looking forward to the most, but Rain has put play to that for today and maybe tomorrow.  It looks as though it is set for the day.

I has been the what I call gentle but forceful rain. The sort that when you look out the window looks as though it just drizzling but when you get out into it, it is a lot heavier than you think.  Good for water supplies and the garden but drenching for those who venture out.  I have an intrepid duo that did just that this morning.  Her Highness wanted walking (and she hates the rain with a vengeance).  OH put his jacket on and has come home with it absolutely drenched right through. He has had to completely change.  Admittedly, the rain clouds are interspersed with bright bursts of Sunlight, but then is quickly covered by the cloud again. It is what it is and we do need the water.  So a few more things added to the washing basket as a result.

Needless to say both dog and man have had to both have a good towelling down to get dry. Her Highness quickly retreated under her blanket to get warm even though it is milder today and is now out for the count an old lady privilege!

I did manage to do a little bit more knitting last night, not much but it all adds up.  I am getting closer to the part of the pattern where I need to start doing the shaping.

I am experimenting a bit at the moment.  I am having oats, fresh Raspberries, milk and a couple of Tablespoons of yogurt for breakfast of a morning.  I have been reading about Chia seeds and am thinking of incorporating these into the cereal as well.  They are apparently full of fibre and at least two times more powerful on the antioxidant front than Blueberries.  Antioxidant foods supposedly help keep any kind of inflammation at bay and subsequently pain levels, which is necessary in the medical conditions I am dealing with to prevent further damage. I am not keen on taking pain medication "Willy-nilly" and I do use exercise a lot to try and combat this. Mostly Pilates based. Exercise helps release endorphins into the system which does help ease the pain and discomfort when it happens.  I also use Pineapple to help with pain issues also.  Sometimes, as with all things though, it makes no significant difference.  The difference is that we are all treated the same, but in fact our systems are unique and peculiar to ourselves and we are all "sensitive" to one thing or another. Therefore it will work for some and not for others and that is why science cannot always find cut and dried answers as to whether something works or not.  All I can say is that if it works for you then it works.  That is your truth and reality.

Since buying the nuts last week, I have been having a couple of Brazil nuts a day to see if they help.  Brazil nuts have Selenium in them which is an essential mineral most commonly used in protection of cells and metabolism, regulates the thyroid and regulates hormone release, protects the body against infection and chronic disease(according to what I have read). It is often the small amounts of essential vitamins that are lacking. To be honest though, I do like eating a few nuts and sometimes dried fruit this way.  I have long believed that you can help yourself with food as your medicine rather than popping pills.  Although not the complete answer I do believe that this does help and I am a particular advocate of proper live yogurt.  It does help and you can do so much with it.  I have been told to eat a non-processed food diet which is one of the main reasons I do so much cooking and buy for ingredients. Last night's tea for instance I really did enjoy

Tonight we had roast chicken, more salad (which needed using up - it was bought on reduction), and baked potatoes for tea for OH.  I have had a baked Sweet Potato together with a couple of Latkes from yesterday.  I love a baked Sweet Potato.  My sort of food although I have been enjoying my veggies generally over the last few days. I have sweet chilli sauce on all of this and it goes down a treat. Simple tasty food is always memorable.  




I have a few leftovers bought last week, which need using up as well so the focus for the next few days or so will be on using up those ingredients with a few more added as well and making some much needed items for eating as and when.

On that score I have some carrots to use up, some bananas, apples, oranges.  

The plan for the carrots is to make a carrot cake.

With the Bananas some Banana Loaf.

With some of the Oranges.

With the Apples I have a Waldorf Salad in mind, using up some Walnuts (or Pecans) I have in house.  This is one of the reasons I need the Celery.  It makes a light side salad which you traditionally use a Mayonnaise in; however I prefer lemon juice.  

Will probably have a look to see what they have on the reduced counter at the Veg shop tomorrow. I am after some more Lemons to turn into a Lemon and Honey ferment which is good in a tea.  I have a couple of jars of honey to use up on the Pantry shelf in any event. I am hoping to get some more Purple Sprouting Broccoli as well. It is such a treat at this time of year.  I also need some celery and Leeks, and Cabbage. 

Tonight before I go to bed I will put on a bread loaf and also start off some Tea Bread.  That should keep us going for a few days on the cake front although I may well add some pastry bits and bobs in as well.  I am also mulling over starting off another Sourdough starter at some point. Even if they do not happen all at once I can try and do a couple of items a day rather than going in trying to everything all at once.  I am pacing myself!

I would like to get some cabbage to make some more Saurkraut, and some homemade Coleslaw (in view of the fact that we seem to be going for salad on the meal front at the moment, but also because it can be used up in Baked Potatoes).

Right am off to do some knitting.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts