What to make with a bag or two of Carrots

Sometimes there is an odd carrot or two leftover and kicking around in the fridge; sometimes more than that.  I have a bag of carrots not yet touched residing in the fridge at the moment. Since the cost of living has gone up so much, I am looking more and more to making things with those items that I do buy in on a regular basis and today I am focusing on Carrots.  Generally, I am also looking at Vegetarian recipes as well.  You do not need to be a Vegetarian, but as in many cases vegetables are still an option and if you can make something cheaply, that is tasty and nourishing it would be a waste not to take advantage.  Many of us are limited by our own choices and sometimes you have to expand the recipe repertoire to introduce new tastes and new flavours into your household eating.  I include myself on this one and, I hold my hands up here, but certain recipes which I have seen recently are really grabbing my attention at the moment.  There have also been a few recommendations from Internet and Instagram friends as well.

Most of us buy carrots for the sole purpose of being used as a cooked vegetable, as a side dish to the main item of a meal which is usually meat. In reality though they can be used in so many things and there is oh so much more to them.  With offers on of 19p a bag of Carrots in a lot of supermarkets, it would be a shame not to make the most of them.  If my Pressure Canner were up and running I would be "canning" a load for the Pantry shelf, for long keeping.  I believe you can water bathe these and a recipe I have seen also incorporates vinegar with the water to give the acid value but then these are kept in the fridge.  As my fridge space is at a premium, I would choose to Pressure Can these for longevity of the product on the Pantry shelf.  Mainly on the grounds of energy use more than anything else.  You have to be careful with vegetables and low acid foods.  From what I have read as well, carrots come within the framework of what is considered a low acid food.

I always tend to keep carrots in as one of my base vegetables.  They are used or included when I make stocks from scratch for flavouring.  I also use them in stews, casseroles, soups (Carrot and ground coriander), stir fries either grated or diced, in a top layer to a minced beef pie before the pastry lid goes on, grated carrot until the meat is covered (something my Mum used to make).  A simple pie that makes the meat go that bit further and a bit more flavourful.  

I also love them in a jam.  Very different to most jams.  It has an unusual taste.  Carrots are sweet and give an earthy sweetness to a jam.  I tend to use this as a jam covering to a cake sponge sandwich at the bottom of a homemade Trifle (a cake that has crumbled or can be crumbled) and used not wasted.  You do not have to buy in those sponge cakes or fingers.  Perhaps not as pretty but rustic and very good eating.  It is also good as a layer in a Carrot cake.  

Carrot cake is a favourite here and is one of my favourite cakes.  I have also recently come across a recipe for Carrot Cookies care of Riverford, which I also intend to have a go at.

Link is here: 

Carrot Cookie Recipe Riverford 

There are lots of useful recipes on their main site which the above recipe links too.

I have also located some recipes for Soft and Moist Carrot Muffins (they also have apple in them) the first link is here on the Spend with Pennies website. 

Link is here:

Soft and Moist Carrot Muffin Recipe

And on the Italian in my Kitchen website a slightly different version of a Carrot Muffin, which is darker in colour (brown sugar is used) and also has a cream cheese topping.

Link is here:

Carrot Cake Muffins Recipe

Carrots can also be used in salads (just grated), in a homemade Coleslaw, in stir fries, as part of a mixed Crudités and dip (healthy for you) or indeed a cooked Camembert or Brie with garlic and then Crudités on the side. Steamed, cut into small dice and together with leek and onion and celery added to mince to pad out a Cottage Pie and make it go that bit further.  However, it is mainly about the flavour for me.  There are obviously lots of other ways that you can use carrot in cooking.  Half the battle is finding a recipe that you actually like or indeed titivate yourself.  I frequently change things up with recipes, adapting them to what I have, rather than going and buying in a specific ingredient that I may or may not use again. When you find that recipe that suits you or your family hang on to them for dear life! Keep your own written recipe book. There is so much variation in recipes because people's tastes are different and what suits one does not necessarily suit another.  Such is the way of life.

I thought I would pop up these ideas and links for different recipes in order that you can have a play.  I shall be indulging in some baking towards the end of the week.  The Carrot Muffins and the Cookies are definitely on the list to have a go at.

Have a lovely evening everyone.

Right Toodle-pip!  

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Carrot Jam sometimes appears in old recipe books as "Angel Hair Preserve" or "Arabian Jam". The latter sounds exotic, but the adjacent words Hair and Jam are a little offputting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela, I have not heard the Carrot Jam called Arabian Jam before. However I do know it by Angel Hair Preserve. Totally agree, however I think it is referred to as "Hair" because of the fine strands of grated carrot used. First came across the recipe in a National Trust Preserves book. x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts