Back in the Kitchen

 

I have been back in the kitchen today pottering about.  Lovely drying day and I had more washing to do.  Have achieved four loads, and managed to get three of them dry out on the line.  Just one more wash to do and will be up to date on the laundry.  Supposed to be good weather tomorrow so hopefully will get the last batch out onto the line to get dry.  I feel better than what I have done today, although I was not good last night.  Just one of those lack of energy sessions that gets in the way!

I have also been playing about with my food.

The other day, on Instagram on 

https://www.instagram.com/mrswarrscountryhome/ 

"Mrs Warr" popped up a post on a simple meal that her girls love.  It was baked stuffed potatoes which had been stuffed with bacon, leek, cheese, butter and the mashed potato from the baked potatoes.  In the past when I have made stuffed potatoes (It is a while since I have made them),I usually make them with cheese and onion with a sprinkling of caraway seeds.  In fairness though, plain cheese and onion stuffed baked potatoes was one of the meals we cooked in Domestic science classes back in the early 70s.  Now I am showing my age. 

As I am currently trying out new to us recipes for meals in an effort to actually use up what I have in the fridge (I am being tight), and as I had everything needed already in the fridge, I decided that tonight was the night that we were going to use up the ingredients to get the best out of them.  That included a tiny bit of leftover salad, which I used to dress the plate (only a narrow band of salad) with the potatoes in the centre.  For details follow 

A quantity of chopped bacon and leek gently fried together until starting to caramelise.  You could also add onion and other veggies depending on what you have.


Potatoes after being baked in the oven cut in half and allowed to cool.  The potato is then scraped out and added to a bowl with the cooked bacon and leek mix.  I also added in grated cheese.



The potato skins were scraped out with a spoon.  Sometimes the skin tears slightly but do not panic as when you fill the skins back with the mashed potato mixture you can squeeze the skin into the mashed potato enough to hold it together.





I then decanted to a roasting pan keeping the skins upright and then latterly sprinkled with a thick layer of grated cheddar. I used a medium flavour cheese topped up with some Cornish Cruncher cheese. I prefer strong cheese. The potatoes are then cooked until golden brown. I had them on Gas mark 6.



In the meantime, I had a tiny bit of salad left up to use.  I therefore made a narrow outline with the salad leaves around the plate.  I then quartered a tomato and slices of red onion to add a bit of colour to the leaves.  Makes the plates pop a little bit, with the simplest of ingredients.




The potato skins all nice and golden brown and ready to serve up.





I added them to the inner circle of lettuce to the plate easing them in where I could.



I added to my plate some homemade Peach and Chilli chutney which was a lovely combination with the cheese.  The Peach and Chilli Chutney is one of my absolute favourites to make in bulk for the summer.  Sadly I am running low on supplies so I must make some more of this to stock up the pantry.





I had thought our potatoes were small they were certainly smaller than my usual potatoes.  I therefore cooked three whole potatoes each which meant six halves.  In reality two whole potatoes was more than enough for me.  OH demolished his; all three of them; therefore be wary you can end up making too much.  I would probably go for two each maximum.

A very tasty supper; something I shall make again as it is so quick and simple.  It was also nice to have a much lighter meal for a change and one that fills you as well as using up what I actually had in the fridge.

What we are going to have tomorrow night's tea I am not sure at the moment.  I am thinking of homemade Quiche or Egg and Bacon flan or some sort of pastry based main and probably served with some new potatoes or chips and some fresh salad, or equally with some cooked fresh greens.  See what we fancy on that score tomorrow.  It might be something completely else by the time we get to it.  I do have to go to the shop tomorrow to get a few bits and bobs in any event.

Feet up tonight.  Do not anticipate doing anything whilst I watch TV.  A rest night.

Have a good evening.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts