A little filler for when times are tough

 



I, like so many people of my age group, were raised on bread and jam (usually home made).  When we were hungry, it was readily provided as a snack, and varied by the type of jam we used to have on top.

Quite often I get peckish of an evening and want something simple to tuck into and using those ingredients I have readily to hand.  I nearly always have flour, eggs and milk in the house together with a large supply of jams and bottled fruits.  For the sake of making a quick batter, and spending a few minutes either griddling or frying some of the batter mix you end up with "Scotch Pancakes" for layering with some butter, fresh fruit, jam and fresh cream if wanting to be a bit more lush.  Not only a good snack, but also a good brunch idea too as it is simply achieved and very filling, not to mention tasty. You can also serve with fried bacon with maple syrup and eggs for a savoury version if sweet stuff is not on your Radar.  The only difference is that when you make the batter just leave out the sugar.




Quite frequently our Saturday night's tea or Sunday afternoon tea would have Scotch Pancakes involved somewhere along the line.  We just loved them simply served with butter.  




And of course any leftovers can be eaten as a snack until gone.  Waste not, want not!

The recipe I use which is supposed to be a Scottish one, is as follows:


Ingredients:

8 oz/225g SR Flour

1oz/25g Sugar

1.5 oz/40g Butter melted

1 Large Egg

250ml of milk

1/2 a teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda

3/4 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar


I use a large batter bowl for making my batters in.

First of all I pop all the dried ingredients into the jug and then mix them all together with a balloon whisk.

I then add the egg and mix that into the dried ingredients as best as I can.  Then add the melted butter and the milk a little at a time until everything is beaten in together.  Consistency should be that of double cream.

Warm up a griddle or frying pan. Use a little oil to coat the bottom.  Think of greasing a cake pan here rather than flooding with oil.  Do not put it on full heat needs to be a gentler setting which you will have to play with to suit you and your cooking equipment.  Pour some batter in circles into the hot pan. Not all will come out in circles but I just serve them as they are. Do not overfill pan but space out.  I do about three pancakes at a time.  Better to have more space than crumped up too much in the pan.  When surface starts to bubble and the edges go golden turn the pancakes over for a few minutes.  I just then pop on plate until all pancakes are made  and then serve them up.

This can be made up and kept in the fridge for a couple of days especially if there is too much mix for one serving.  I ended up with about 15 pancakes from this mix.

Enjoy.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts