A little peace and quiet Part One

 for a jumbled mind is often the answer.


Thank you for bearing with me in the past few days whilst I have tried to pull myself together. I did put up a couple of quick posts on Instagram, but for the best part I have stayed away from the Internet. Have not been 100% but better than I was.

Just want to thank you for all your kind words and messages; much appreciated.

Sometimes having long term medical conditions sucks. Although I consider myself extremely lucky. I cope with it for the best part, and I do have a high pain threshold, however sometimes it gets beyond a joke and is far too much.  Usually around wet weather which is why I say "Stick me on the wall I will make a great Barometer"!  My Consultant has confirmed that the Barometric pressure does have an effect. Trouble is people look at me and cannot see anything immediately wrong.  You cannot see all illnesses and besides I try not to be defined by the fact that I have health issues.  If  I want to have a go at something, I do.  As long as it is within safe and practical parameters things are usually okay.  Occasionally things go a bit pear shaped, but Cest la vie!

Tuesday

Anyway as is my way I digress yet again.  I have been trying to be more mindful, live in the moment and just take things at my own pace. For instance, I have a big Black Peppermint plant in my herb garden and I have been and harvested a load of stalks for drying for Mint Tea.  I have really taken to having this over the summer months as it has helped me with digestion issues and I have been taking it at night before going to bed. I am therefore gathering what I can for use in the winter months.  I will have nowhere near enough, but one of the good things about using the mint is that the plant is starting to throw out runners for new growth which I am particularly pleased about.  Next year should be a lot better all told. I also have some cuttings on the go for a couple of more plants.  I do not mind a big bed of mint. There is nothing nicer to my mind than just picking a bunch of fresh herb and the aroma that it gives off, it is to my mind divine.  I can understand the invasiveness of it; but if you have a lot of things that you do with it, you soon use it up.  I preserve it as well as use it fresh.

This year with my plant I am predominantly focusing on Mint tea at the moment. The jar will slowly build up a little supply as long as I do not take any leaves from it.  

I am air drying the mint on its stem singly off the dresser.  The mint leaves will then be taken off the stem.  The stem will be used in firelighters either cut down or left at its current length. That is a separate project where I am gathering all sorts of things together.  You do not just need firelighters for a home fire, but also outside cooking or fire warmer as well.  I do have friends with a fire though.

One of my plans which really is a yearly one, is to make some long-keeping mint sauce which I do make every year.  If I get a chance I will also make some Mint jelly.  I will probably buy some mint in to make these as they are part of my regular items for my Pantry shelf.  Will probably also get some for a different mint tea as well.  Waitrose sell it in reasonably big bags.  I will probably root a few pieces too as I lost all my proper garden mint in the heat last year.

My intention for next year is to do a lot more on the Herb front  in growing and preserving.  If I can get any plants this year I will do well (at least perennial herbs).

Equally the Sweet Woodruff is also expanding a bit in the herb garden.  This is known as the "Strewing Herb" as it was mixed in with the hay and used on floors in homes to keep the house sweet!  

I am also in the process of trying to fine tune/define the preserves that I will put up this year and in some cases change what I do put up on the shelf. It all results in expanding the repertoire one way or another.

It is the end of the month again, and so I end up scrabbling around for bits and bobs to feed us. Monday night we had a roast chicken and homemade chips for tea. Delicious it was too. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Tonight though out of the half chicken that was left over, I have made a summer stew consisting of onion, leek, carrot, courgette, spinach powder, veggie powder, white pepper, vegetable stock pot, mixed herbs and some Polish very fine noodles which I get from the shop around the corner. I am not sure what they are called but in they have gone. I have used them before and it just gives a bit more texture. Cold chicken has then been shredded roughly into fair sized pieces and then added to the hot gravy. Thickened with Arrowroot and it has been served with mashed potatoes. Has gone down very nicely. One carrot, one onion, one courgette, one leek together with half the chicken has gone into this. I still have the carcass left to make some more stock and so will probably have a French onion soup as part of our eating tomorrow. Might have a fresh pear for pudding afterwards.

There was a load of stew left-over which mean's tomorrow night's tea is sorted as well.

After that I put my feet up for a little while and had an early night.  Been trying to do that as well.  Not very good at it but trying!

Further catch up soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. You can not see all illnesses - agree 100% - I suffer with BPPV and ongoing vestibular issues, some days are worse than others and like you changes in the weather are often difficult. Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleased to hear that you're feeling a little better, I sometimes think that we got so used to being SuperWoman when we were working, and constantly on the go that now we're retired, it's hard to slow down and realise that we can take our time, and enjoy the process of what we're trying to achieve and then my age catches up with me and I find I have no choice but to slow up and rest. You take care Tricia xxx CraftyNan xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts