On sorting that fabric out

Something a little different today.

Last night, Friday night I spent a happy couple of hours sorting out the big bag of fabric that I spoke about the other evening.  There is more than I thought, but some very nice materials in there. Some of the fabric is not quite the weight of cotton which is needed for my Hexie Quilt, but will come in handy for things like Scrunchies and jam pot covers.  Some is perfect for the Hexie Quilt I am working on but a lot of it is not.

I also have some upholstery fabrics in matching tones, which I have always intended to work into a larger version of a Log Cabin quilt.  I have no pattern and need to draw some templates up to have a play; I am therefore saving all cereal packet card I can at the moment in order to do this.  That fabric has also been stored separately.

I really need to locate my elastic stash and then have some time at my sewing machine to play; and I think I really need a day of playing. As my hair is past shoulder length, when I am working or busy I often put my hair up and I use Scrunchies just to pretty things up a bit.  I do try and tone in the colours with what I am wearing.  I might even make some for the granddaughter as she has long hair too! I do not like wasting fabric at all and if I can see something to make out of it, then it will be kept until I can get to it.

If I can get part of this stash cleared out and made into usable things it will be a job well-done.

I also came across some Vintage linens, tray cloths that sort of thing, which I have been intending to turn into covers for bed pillows, to be used in a patchwork quilt (the more damaged items). There is also a whitework pillow cover that needs a little hand attention some stitches have come loose, and as it is a larger size pillow to standard pillows (what they call a Continental pillow I think), I do need a new pad for it. However, need to get it repaired, washed and starched first.

There is also a beautiful whitework tablecloth that needs some TLC. It is drawn thread work and I think if I am careful I will be able to re-attach it. Will have to take my time and use a Tambour frame to hold it, but I think that it can be done. I was taught how to do drawn thread embroidery at school on Aida fabric but I have never actually done it on cotton. So as I say, if I take my time I think I may be able to repair it. It would be a pity to let such a pretty cloth be thrown as a lot of love has been worked into that cloth. If I remember rightly I bought a few cloths as damaged to be used in an alternate way, but it is far too pretty.

For most of my bedrooms and for eventual use, I also have several Ewers and bowls that match. I have also managed to find some of the Vintage finger-tip towels that were used in the bedroom to dry your hands on. There are about six that I have found, they also need laundering and pressing then they can be put away.  I am having to sort things as I go and I am trying to store like things with like.

Therefore only a small start, but a start it is.  It kept me quiet for a good couple of hours in any event.  Really need that day to play at the machine soon I think.

I also found some white Broderie-Anglaise fabric which I think will look very nice turned into a top of some sort.  There is only two x 1 metre pieces of fabric and I was thinking of a draw necked blouse with the sleeves in a plain cotton and then hand embroidered long sleeves.  Just musing at the moment, but it is the sort of top that would get me back to the dressmaking again. I used to make a lot of my own clothes.

Just musings really, but if I can get started will get most things quickly out of the way with.

Catch up later on.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. That fabric bag sounds like a treasure trove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really; one of quite a few bags if I am honest, but at least this one is now sorted out. I have yet to recover the others. Really needs to go into a box but I do not have one spare at the moment.x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts