Sky full of Cloud

 and raining on everyone's parade today. It has also been quite windy on occasion.  I have been housebound as a result.  Been down to visit the greenhouse and got drenched in the process to find that I now have 6 cucumber up, 4 Marigolds and one Fennel.  Everything else seems to have settled in and is growing.  The Beans are looking a bit windswept and the Pumpkins are doing well. Still waiting for Lovage, Parsley, Round Courgettes and ordinary Courgettes to put in an appearance.  Well if they do, they do and if they don't there is nothing I can do about it.  Rain is also forecast for Saturday and Sunday for us at the moment with storms as well.  The positive is that it is the gentle soaking rain that will do the soil good.  The soil has been very dry around here and I have been having to add a bit of water to my outside plants each day as a result. Chilli Peppers in the greenhouse are starting to grow Chilli pods.  Cucumbers are destined for the other greenhouse and I think the Chillies might be moved in there as well as there will be more room for them.

With our original proper greenhouse we have a more or less permanent set up for tomatoes. This has been tied into the frame and consists of a metal tube framework.  It would be lovely to get this back in working order for next year as then this can be the proper designated growing house for the Tomatoes again. I can then have one for seeds and one for Cucumbers, Peppers and Chiilies.  Well that is what I am thinking at the moment. With the two small cover greenhouses you cannot use any kind of heater with it, so fingers crossed we can recover it and that will also help me to bring on plants earlier on in the season. I have always loved gardening in any event.

As it is a humid/damp kind of day decided that we will have a Cottage Pie for tea.  One dish meal that is a bit of comfort food and is relatively easy for me to make. It is quite a while since we had one.  However, the rain always makes me feel as if I need proper comfort food to get warmed up and to feel good about things.  I hate being cooped up or defined; I hated it when it rained when I was a child as it kept me in the house.  Cooping me up completely unsettles me and does not do any good in the long term.

I ventured into the front room yesterday afternoon as well and starting to find a whole load of my books that I have not been able to get to for a while. Lots of old favourites that I have been looking for a lot of them Preserving books. I have always taken the view that if you have a recipe for something in book form, you usually have a recipe for life.  My books are like my babies.  They are well loved and used, and it is only the odd book that is rehomed as each book offers something so different.  Have also found a load more kitchen equipment.  Wondered where that had got to too.  

As I can have no books at the moment for one reason or another.  I have been compiling lists of those books that I would very much like to add to my collection. It helps when I am in the position to purchase a few more and often I have been able to pick them up cheaply second hand by using those lists. I have one on my Pinterest Board and one on Amazon.  One book in particular that I have located is the book that my brother bought me as my wedding present over 40 years ago (when I was one month into 19).  It was my first cook book and I tried many recipes over the years from it. Lots of good recipes and food ideas.  So it is good to find that one again.  Looks like it will be wheeled out for regular and future use again.  

Have also found a complete stash of patchwork fabric as well.  I knew I had more and some embroidery projects!  I shall never go to Heaven and have enough projects to last a lifetime.

Sorry no photos at the moment, will be updated as soon as I can, probably in retrospect as I am having issues at the moment with the computer!

Tonight after tea I will be going through one of the sort out bags to see what is viable and what can go.  Trouble is when you are into lots of different crafting methods and have lots of materials (although not always the right ones), you always see the potential in those materials and do not like to let go of them.  From past experience, as soon as I get rid of stuff I always need it the week after.

Tea was delicious.

Hope that you all have a lovely evening.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts