Today has been a new day

 and a new page.

I have been for my Physio appointment with a lovely young Physio.  Spent about 40 minutes with her where she put me through a range of motions to establish what my muscles were doing and where the greatest impact lay. I confirmed that I had been doing some upper arm exercises trying to keep myself going and was told that I had done was the right thing. Some of the exercises that I have been doing are exactly what is needed.  Things are never going back to how they were but the extra exercises that I have been given should help build up upper arm strength, I do have some weakness there and hopefully will also give the arm back some of its flexibility that it had previously.   Apparently, I still have the majority of movement necessary it is in the upper and under arm which sometimes tracks down to my elbow and wrist where the biggest problems are and lifting my arm up past shoulder height. There are no guarantees of course, which I totally accept but I would like a bit more movement than I do have and adjust to any limitations so that life is workable without too much impact.  My left arm has also been slightly impacted and so I have to exercise both arms to achieve balance. It is only when we lose or cannot use something that we have always done automatically or had that we realise just how much we rely on doing these sorts of everyday things automatically.  Hopefully these exercises will help me recover some of that.  

I have been told to exercise only to the point where the movement becomes painful and a "slowly slowly catch a monkey" approach has been advocated.  Some of the exercises I do have to do each day.  Some of the exercises involve a broom handle/walking stick, an elastic band, the Wall (Pilates exercises). Some of the exercises need me to make a knot in the band, sling it over the top of a door and equally using a door handle. Also to use worktops with the aid of a towel, or duster or something that will slip easily.  A maximum of 5 rotations of each exercise to start with.  Have been told that if am comfortable with this can increase but have to be careful as the emphasis is very much on building up resilience, flexibility and upper arm strength.  So we shall see how we get on.  At least I know where I stand now and that potentially there is something that is going to help at the end of the day.  I have a return appointment for the 14 August.

G has also re-purposed one of my gardening small grow houses (well some of the shelving) to go into my greenhouse so that I have somewhere to put the plants and or seed trays.  It is better than nothing and no doubt things will be readjusted again before I have finished.  At least stuff is growing albeit not everything I had anticipated growing but these things are sent to try us.

I have pricked out some of the PSB and also the Marigolds and some of the Parsley.     I have also potted on Bert (G's extra hot Chilli) that has been growing on the back bedroom windowsill. That is all the compost gone now.  I had popped a little bit into a couple of planters for sowing some seeds but the compost is needed for the new starters so will have to rectify that when I get the next lot of compost.  The poor beans though!  Hoping that they put on some new growth as they do look very sorry for themselves.

It has been a bit of mixed bag weather wise today.  Showers and sunshine; it does not seem to be able to make its mind up.  I have been dodging showers to get some stuff dried most of the day and have just been caught out with the last lot have popped on the line. Really heavy shower! Most annoying.

The best part of today has already passed and with the weather being unpredictable, I decided not to go into the garden to carry on with some of the work.  Weather permitting will do this tomorrow as need to get stuck in again on clearing more of the rubbish.  G also needs to deal with the privet hedge and the Cotoneaster (or the Costanostra as he calls it).  Both certainly need a haircut.  His back is not good today so will see how he gets on.  G has since started to trim the Costanostra and has side cut the bush.  He will complete the same tomorrow i.e. the top part.  I cleared all the green stuff away.  Assume because of his back that the privet will follow later on.

Today therefore I have been pottering dealing with various things in the house that need/ed attention.  Whole raft of unconnected things but needed doing.  I am still maintaining a little bit of work here and there breaking it down into smaller items makes it easier for me to work with and is reasonably sustainable for me. It may take longer for me to clear these days but at least it is getting done.

We are having roasted Lamb chops for tea tonight with veggies. We are having new potatoes, peas, leek, carrots, cauliflower and cabbage to use up the end of the veg. Then, afterwards I will then be working for a couple of hours for me carrying on with the work I started earlier on.  No binge watching TV tonight.

Here is hoping you have a lovely evening.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Sounds like a nice new therapist. Hope your mobility continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The therapist was lovely, very young but a lovely personality. Will see how it goes from here. It is up to me now and all I can do is try. xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts