Hijacked


Things started off quite nicely this morning with us having a bacon and mushroom sarnie for breakfast.  Temperatures had dropped overnight and we have very much had that "Autumn" feeling today with the temperatures being a lot lower than they have been.  Therefore time to make the best of the seasons and harvests and preserve them for another day.

Today I had planned to do a lot of preserving.  Silly me thinking that I would be able to indulge my passion and just play.  It did not turn out like that.

I ended up looking for something on the computer that G just must have; three hours later I managed to find what he was looking for and able to put that one to bed!

I had planned on processing Apples (for Apple sauce), Tomatoes for Pasta sauce, Cherry tomatoes for Bruschetta and Beetroot (for pickled Beetroot) today.  Instead I went to the shop a little later in the day and came back with a load of plums.  Not Victoria plums but they were on offer.  I have therefore bought them to make Plums in syrup. They should not take too long to make once all the bottles/jars are sterilised so it may be one to start off with tomorrow.  They are quite a nice size.  Therefore until I can get hold of some Victoria plums, these are a start and something for the shelves.  It therefore looks as though I am going to be dealing with today's planned jobs tomorrow.

I did get Chicken stock made.  That will also be processed tomorrow, yet again building up a small stock up for the Pantry shelf.

The plan of attack for tomorrow is therefore:

1.  Conclude Chicken stock and get jarred up and processed.

2.  Cook Beetroot, allow to cool and then bottle up in spiced     vinegar.

3.  Make sugar syrup for plums.

4.  Whilst those two are cooking, bottle up the Plums.

5.  Prepare the apples for Apple sauce and bottle up.

6.  Prepare Bruschetta with Cherry tomatoes, get bottled and processed.

7.  Roast tomatoes for pasta sauce, finish off and bottle and process.

Think that is more than enough to do tomorrow.

Tonight we have had a lovely tea.  I bought a small piece of Beef for £10 from the Butcher a nice size for two.  I roasted this gently as I did not want to shrink the joint too much and so I nursed it, and cooked it to "pink".  This was served with Mashed potato, Roast potato, cauliflower, broccoli, peas, carrots, purple beans that went green in cooking, and lots of gravy.  Was quite tasty.  Unusually there is no repeat performance tomorrow but we will not go hungry.  It is also laundry day weather permitting.


I have today dealt with a load of kitchen work as well, although still not on top of that.  It will happen.

I also want to get out on a proper forage to see what else I can find in the Wild Larder.  I am after some Plantain for a Salve and some Yarrow.  Also after twigs, cones, seed heads that sort of thing for Christmas decorating useful household items. Also Blackberries, Sloes and Crab Apples as well as tops of nettles.

Other things would like to get done this week include the following items, but some of them could be delayed until another time depending on time available:

1.  *Make Piccalilli.

2.  *Make Marrow and Ginger Jam.

3.  Make Onion Marmalade.

4.  *Confit some mushrooms.

5.  Process some new potatoes I have.

6.  Process some older potatoes I have.

7.  Make some French Onion Soup.

8.  Process some Chick Peas.

9.  Process some Red Kidney Beans Plain and in Chilli sauce.

10. Process some Haricot Beans for homemade Baked Beans.

11.I have a pre-prepared tin of Seville Oranges which I need to make up into a new batch of Marmalade as we have run out.

12. *Make Sauerkraut.

I do not anticipate that I will get everything done, but you never know.  It is after all preserving season.  The items marked with a *will be dealt with straight away as I already have ingredients in-house for these.

Well am going to put my feet up after a nice cuppa and that is me done for today.  Lot of plans for the coming week whether they will all transpire or get completed is another matter.  At least it is a plan of attack that includes a list so I can keep proper track what have been up to.

Have a lovely evening.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Gosh, you're going to be busy over the next week! Feeling autumnal here too. Just about to leave the house for Malvern Fleamarket (5.25 a.m. here!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have had a lovely day. Today been dragged off preserving again. So will try and do something a little later. Not what was planned though. A couple of long posts at the request of some followers on Instagram. If it gets people preserving I do not mind. Bet you are home by the time you get this. Take care sweetie xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts