Not the day I planned

 Ended up being circumvented again by another issue which has prevented me getting on in the dining room.  Might try and get in there a bit later on.  These things are sent to try us so changed tack and decided to cook a full roast this evening. We are having roast chicken, sausage, roast potato and roast onion, broccoli, cauliflower, Petit-Pois, mashed potato and carrots for tea this evening.  Scratch meals are all well and good, however I do like to have a proper cooked meal every few days or so.  Just my thing.

I went over to the local supermarket and was very disappointed in the choice of vegetables they had to hand.  Although they had no Broccoli on the shelf, I did find a couple of packs in the reduced section. I quickly nabbed them.  Carrots there was only one pack on the shelf so I nabbed them also. Frozen Petit-Pois were in for a change.  I prefer them as I think they are little more tender than the garden peas. Oh and a packet of reduced courgettes with two courgettes in.  That was all I got from the supermarket.

Then on to the veg shop.  They did not have much in today but far more choice than the supermarket. I came away with a rather large cauliflower, two superb and heavy fresh Corn on the Cob and  3 kg of reduced Bramley cooking apples.  Ideal for some Pie filling or apple sauce. Bought 3 bowls for £3. So instead of £6. They are normally £2 per kilo.  I use a lot of apples in any event.  So very much a nice find to help replenish the Pantry shelf. Guess what I will be doing later on.  Peeling and preparing apples, and preserving them!

I do have my eyes on some peaches though.  I need to make a couple of batches of Peach and Chilli Chutney, some Pie Filling and some slices in syrup and if I can run to it some Peach jam which have never tried before but always wanted to have a go at.  Will see what I can do.  Might try and do one item per week to ease things out on the money front, but also not to wipe the shop out of peaches!

Also have some simple syrup preserving on the go.  More on that a little later on though.

Tea was lovely and has gone down very nicely.

Am off to potter, I have apples to see to don't you know.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts