Pottering

I continued on from yesterday to wade downstairs in the dining room, sorting out a load of stuff that is long overdue tackling.  Progress is slow, painfully slow but it is being made. 

Alongside that whilst I am working away I am processing stuff for the Pantry shelf.  Today it has been Ham Stock and Chicken Stock.  I have four good sized jars of Ham Stock for the Pantry Shelf, and 6 jars of Chicken Stock.  I have Chicken and a Gammon on a regular basis therefore it is false economy not to use what is available to you.  The processed stock will provide a good base for some good eating during the winter months, such as for stews, soups, casseroles, gravies.  I also have plans to do some vegetable Stock and Beef Stock in due course. The only mention I would make is that if the base ingredients tend to be "saltier" do not add any extra salt.  Gammon because of the preservation process tends to be saltier despite soaking overnight and changing water at least a couple of times, and boiling the gammon up in fresh water a couple of times before actually cooking it.  Err on the side of caution.

At some point this week I do intend to go out foraging.  I am going to need some time out after being ensconced in the house all the time.  I shall get him to drop me off and then I can have a good look to see what is available to gather.

Today has also been a good drying day and therefore more washing has been carried out and stuff put on the line.  Have to take advantage of good weather when it happens as far as possible.

OH had a big breakfast this morning.  He apparently is now stuffed and does not fancy too much for tea.  As I did not have the brekkie, I will probably have something light for tea like a ham sandwich and a cup of tea.

Sometime during the week I am hoping to get some Plums for preserving, and I also need to get veggies to go with the meat that we purchased yesterday.

Although it has been a lovely few days here very warm and muggy, there is a distinct hint of autumn starting to creep in. Therefore it is important to get what you can squirrelled away in the Pantry.  Does not have to be masses of stuff, but a little bit helps.

I have been looking at the sort of things that I use on a regular basis and am going to attempt to do my own Pantry Preserves.  At the minute I am looking at Tomatoes in all their various forms, various Beans (Chilli Beans), Chick Peas (for Hummus), Red Kidney Beans Plain and different sauces.  In the last couple of weeks I have popped  up one jar of Basil in oil which is being stored in the Fridge. I intend to make another couple of jars to go with this one.  There are 8 jars of Blackberries in Syrup (think these will be lovely on a homemade cheesecake) or indeed in any puddings and pies mixed with apple and served with custard and cream.  I am also going to have a go at making some different soups for convenience more than anything else.  Also looking to put some Ratatouille up.  It is very much going to be a learning curve but one I am looking forward to exploring.  Despite having preserved for over 40 years, I have learned that there are other ways of preserving food that do not necessarily need a pressure cooker and indeed it is the way that the whole of Europe have been preserving their food for hundreds of years.  Logic dictated that there had to be a reason for this and there is.  It is the vital piece of information that lets you make an informed choice about which way you are going to preserve your food for your Pantry.  Basically you can preserve most foods just by water bathing them.  Yes for extended periods of time compared to a pressure canner, but preserve the food you can.  The only real difference is that if you water bath food you need to cook if for 10 minutes at 100 degrees C before you do anything with it. This is classed as a safe way to process low acid foods as botulism spores if there are neutralised for safe eating (If I understand it correctly). A Pressure Canner the food is ready to use without any extra heating. 

Your choice your kitchen.

For recipes for water-bathed food items for the Pantry shelf, Please see the Le Parfait recipe site.  There are lots of lovely recipes on there and they are all water bathed.

Le Parfait Site

My kitchen my rules.  Needless to say I am following a prescribed way of preserving.

I also belong to a very information and supportive site for Preserving by water-bathing and by Pressure Canning called Preserving and Canning UK on Facebook.  If you want to learn more about preserving these ladies and gents are very supportive no matter your choice of processing.  It is a closed group but very nurturing.  After all Europe has been processing food for hundreds of years and still continue to utilise those methods.  If they work and cleanliness and safety guidelines are observed there should be no issues.  I think the use of those methods speaks volumes.

Catch you all soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts