Well last night after

 my stint in the kitchen I set too, to use the Blackberries up from our walk yesterday.  Think we are going back later on to see if we can get any more berries.  Found a patch that had not been touched, but obviously someone has found where we had been going as there were not many for the picking tonight.  Never mind, there is enough there to make some syrup.

All you need is some a large wide mouthed jar if possible, some sugar and your berries.

Basically you layer up the Blackberries with layers of sugar, and then you pop your lid on.  This is a form of fermentation just using the sugar, fruit and the natural yeasts on the fruit.  You can use any jar, but if you use a jar with a jam jar type lid, you will need to physically burp the jar if not every day every other day as gas will build up in the jar and we do not want any explosions thank you very much.  You are supposed to leave it 100 days, but in reality the fermentation may have settled down before then when you can then decant it into jars or bottles that have been sterilised.  Fermenting the fruit gives a fresher flavour and the syrup retains most of its vitamins.

I am also doing a Lemon one, and also in due course hope to make Lime, Grapefruit and Orange in due course and probably a few others along the way.

Friday Morning

Has dawned lovely and bright here after a chilly start it is slowly warming up.  We have walked the dog, and I am now getting stuck in again in the kitchen.  G managed to get the windowsill painted yesterday and dried.  We left the windows open.  He works piecemeal at it doing a little bit here and there and it seems to be working well indeed.  I am likely to be in the kitchen for the best part of the day as I am also reorganising the cabinets as well as scrubbing walls.  I will have to get out later for a bit of a break.

I am hoping to go Blackberrying again later on.  This time I will have on a long sleeved top despite the heat.  I got a bit battered yesterday with nettles and bramble scratches, but it was so warm.  Am hoping to get enough berries this time to make some jelly.

On the preserving front both Lemon and Blackberry syrup were started off.  No doubt I shall add a few more flavours along the way.

Apples are still on the list to do.  Fingers crossed I can get my plums in the next few days.

Late Friday afternoon

I have been pottering in the kitchen.  It is going to take longer than anticipated.  That is par for the course for me though.  I am not as quick as I used to be these days, and still think it takes the same amount of time.  Just got to keep plugging away.

I did escape for a little while though to get some more Blackberries.  Will get these underway whilst I carry on with the kitchen this evening. Just going to bottle them with syrup again.  Will be lovely strained on top of a cheesecake during the winter months.  There are some other recipes I want to try as well.  Some different things to what I have tried before. Always on the look out for trying something new.

We have chicken curry and rice for tea this evening together with strawberries and cream for pudding.  Another simple light tea.

Right am off to get on.

Have a lovely evening

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. You made me smile, when you said you're not as fast as you used to be, that realisation happens to me a lot nowadays and I think well, I used to be able to do all that in a day but I can't now. Age does catch it with us.
    We have also started saying let's see what we can get done in an hour, it's amazing what can be achieved in an hour and we don't loose focus and more importantly energy - we're learning to walk away and say that'll get done tomorrow- good luck with the blackberries snd the kitchen CraftyNan xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Crafty Nan, still getting the blackberries and have 9 pint jars put up, plus have started off some Fermented Blackberry syrup and Lemon syrup. Also 7 jars of Rhubarb and Strawberry Pie filling and four of Ham Stock. Have beetroot and tomatoes and apples on the list for today when I can get there. Hope you are both okay. The weather has turned very nippy here all of a sudden. Take care Triciax

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts