Leftovers Pasta

Fresh Food Cupboard gets bare towards the end of the month and it is a time when I set too and start using up all the little bits and bobs that have accumulated, then when they are gone I get the fridge cleaned out ready for re-stocking.

We have reached that point.  G often does not want what has been cooked, but my attitude is and will continue to be that as long as you have good food (even if you do not fancy it) you will get through another day; and the arrival of another day will mean a different day, different scenario and more opportunities.

With that in mind I checked what was left in the fridge.  I had half a pack of cream cheese, some leftover Quartz cheddar, half a head of cauliflower, broccoli and some Cavolo Nero.  I also had a half bottle of passata sauce and some onions.

When I discussed with G what was on offer for tea this evening, he did not seem convinced but at the end of the day he did not have many options and I knew he was hungry.

He has been good in eating wholemeal bread but asked for a white loaf for a change as a way to vary things up a bit.  I therefore popped on another bread loaf this time a white one.  That will be ready at about 9pm.  Will then let that cool and if he wants any he can have some.  However, I am going to make a half-and-half loaf as well to see if he can manage that a bit more.  I will still make the Wholemeal as I like it (he does just it is a hefty bread which you do not need much of). If he likes the half-and-half, then will probably put this into the mix as well.  It is really a way of trying to make things work with the restrictions he has (not that he does not flout it occasionally).  However I do not want him near any shop bought processed bread as it does not do him any good on the Diabetes or Bipolar conditions.

In any event back to the pasta.  I nearly always have lots of pasta in the cupboard although of late G has not been having it.  Tonight he has had some, but not a big bowl full as he has had in the past.

I therefore set too and on this occasion popped some cauliflower, broccoli and a couple of chopped leaves of Cavolo Nero into a pan of boiling water until cooked.  I then took off the flame, put the lid on and kept the veggies warm on the back of the cooker.

I then popped the pasta in a pan of boiling water and had that cooking whilst I made the sauce up.

I fried off a large Spanish Onion, in a little butter and oil until transparent and then I added a pinch of sugar into the onions as it helps to caramelise them.  I then added in a couple of cloves of garlic.  Once nice and golden I then added in some mixed herbs, some white pepper, some vegetable Bouillion, and a teaspoon of Cranberry sauce. I then added in the rest of the tomato passata that I had in the fridge with a tiny amount of water to thin it a little.  Not too much just needed some fluidity.  I added half a teaspoon of sugar as well to the tomato sauce.  Cooked up until bubbling and hot.  Then turned off the heat.

I then set too and drained the pasta to which I added in the half pack of cream cheese until all melted in and then a large handful of grated cheddar until all melted.  Popped relevant quantities into bowls and then added the tomato sauce and mixed it through the pasta.  I then added the drained veg to the top of the pasta and then a good handful of grated cheese was popped on top.

Leftovers Pasta

Do you know it was really tasty and very filling.  G actually enjoyed it!  Looks like this one may be entering my regular to make list as well.  Not bad with next to nothing on the ingredient front.  I really enjoyed the veggies with this as well, added a different element altogether.

The white loaf has finished and has come up very well indeed.  Second one on the go as no doubt this one will be demolished tomorrow for breakfast.

White Loaf


I have a long post that should have come out before this one.  However, I have some issues as it will not for some reason post.  I think may have over-shot the amount of storage I need, but will try and get this sorted as soon as I can.

Hope everyone has a lovely evening.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts