The Aged Rib of Beef

 At long last we are going to be having the Rib of Beef bought in originally for Christmas Dinner to be eaten.  This was a considered expense, but we have gone without a few other things in order to have this. For the best part of the week we have been grazing on the leftovers from the Turkey and the Ham.  The Turkey has now gone, but there is still some Ham left; no doubt that will not last long.

I therefore fancied a change in meat and so the 4 Rib of Beef (weighing 4kg) has now taken up residence in my large cooker.  It has been turned onto Gas Mark 9 the top temperature for half an hour and will then be turned down to Gas Mark 5.  I have added in to the bottom of the tray 4 thick chunks of onion which will do double duty. They will support the joint of the base of the pan in order for the heat to circulate and will also caramelise during cooking to add flavour to the meat juices. I am all for extracting all the flavour I can from whatever I am cooking.  I have also added in some mixed herbs and white pepper and a little water so that the meat juices do not stick and burn to the bottom of the tray.  We do not want burnt offerings, and these juices will form the basis of the gravy together with vegetable juices from steaming the veggies.










The whole of the joint has then been enveloped in a tent of foil.  As the cooking progresses, I will keep checking on the meat, and basting it where necessary to keep the fat  moist.  The meat has been placed dead centre of the oven.

The first 30 minutes are cooked on Gas Mark 9 (Highest setting on my oven) and then turned down to Gas Mark 5 for the duration.

You have the choice of whether you cook the meat rare, medium or well done.

My joint weighed 4 kilo (10lb) and I am going for medium rare joint.  

As I am not good with timings I am a bung it in the oven cook for the best part and then I just nurse it, I have copied the relevant segment from the Delia recipe for Rib of Beef the link of which is here for further clarification.

Delia Rib of Beef

"Now place the meat just above the centre in the oven and give it 20 minutes cooking at the initial temperature; after that turn the heat down to 190C/375F/Gas 5 and cook it for 15 minutes to the pound 450g/16oz for rare, adding another 15 minutes for medium rare and another 30 minutes for well done. While the beef is cooking, lift it out of the oven from time to time, tilt the tin and baste the meat really well with its own juices - this ensures that the flavour that is concentrated in the fat keeps permeating the meat, and at the same time the fat keeps everything moist and succulent. While you're basting close the oven door in order not to lose heat".

If you have a poultry baster that will help for basting the Beef as well.

I keep on checking and then eventually take the foil off to allow the mean to brown off properly.







Now it is all ready and is being left to stand for about 45 minutes for all those precious meat juices to go back in.





Meat lovely and tender just melts in the mouth.







Was served with roast potatoes, roast parsnip, roast shallots, carrots, Brussels, broccoli, Sugar snap peas, cauliflower cheese, mashed potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and loads of gravy.  Has gone down very nicely indeed.  Now going to put my feet up and have a drop of my homemade infused Bramble Irish Whisky with a drop of lemonade.

I hope everyone has a lovely and Happy New Year and that hopefully it will be filled with lots of love and laughter.

Cheers everyone!

Catch you on the other side.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts