Kitchen Capers Monday 22 January 2024

 This morning started early with a visit down to Home Bargains.  I was in need of washing powder (Persil Non Bio 77 wash box £11.50 odd), stain remover, fabric conditioner, washing up liquid, some pegs for hanging out the washing where I can as it saves the electric.  Last time I bought pegs they only had plastic ones.  Only bought as that was all they had, but they broke in usage more or less straight away which was not very prolonged.  This time round I have gone for old fashioned wooden ones which I prefer, as I believe these are more eco friendly long term.  All now ensconced in their wicker peg basket (a basket I found at a charity shop and re-purposed). 

As we had managed to get out without having to take Missy with us, we took time this time around to have a good look on their "Food section".  Quite impressed on some of the prices and on the canned food prices as well.  Next pay day will probably go and stock up a bit on some things from here as I really need to get the Pantry stocked up with a multitude of things.  I mentioned "Angel Delight" last night as we had it for pudding.  They had it in Home Bargains at quite a reasonable price amongst other useful "pudding" ideas.  They also had all the flavours so I may make a batch purchase of these and other items come pay day.  They also have the Mug shot sachets for 49p various flavours.  I am not a fan of these but G likes them so may get some of these stocked  up as well.  He also likes the cup a soups as well so will have a better look to see if they had those next time and probably stock up on them for him as well.  There have to be things in that both of us like, as well as a few things that each of us likes but the other does not necessarily like.

Also nipped into The Food Warehouse/Iceland.  They have some offers on there as well and some different products although a lot of the same.  Some of their prices are slightly dearer on some items, but not much.  As the shops are side by side in Peterborough can always get product from the other if they do not have what am after.  Need to go back there also when we have the next pay day.

Iceland have offers on for bread, crumpets, thin crumpets (I know these as Pikelets), Tea Cakes  (they have a selection of other items as well) for 3 packs for £3 and you can mix and match between the items. Warburton brand.  All the bread now tidied away in my big reproduction enamel Vintage bread bin.  A bread loaf, three packs of crumpets/pikelets and three packs of tea cakes and a malt loaf all fit in their nicely.

We have taken of late to buying in a box of broken biscuits as well for about £3.50 I think.  We were originally getting these from the Butcher but as Iceland is nearer to us we get them there if we want them.  I also noted today that they have a different flavour box of Walkers Crisps available as well. About 20 packets in there though.

I shall however probably concentrate on tinned stuff especially fruit as it seemed pretty good value here.  There were lots of good buys in the freezers, but I am limited to what I buy on this front as no freezer.

So quite pleased with what managed to source.  Would have liked to have bought a few more items back but you can only do what you can do. 

Quite a lot of work planned in the kitchen for Tuesday in the longer term once all the laundry is out of the way.  Preparation work a lot of it.

Will get there in the end.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts