Kitchen Capers - Tuesday 2 January 2024


Today started later than I had hoped for mainly due to the fact I overslept as had a disturbed night.  Woke up to rain I wondered why I was stiff.  Had not seen the weather forecast.  

I have finished off the first Batch of Beef Stock made on Monday.  This has now been cleared of fat and then strained through a sieve and a folded 4 way muslin to get the stock as clear as I can. 




As I have other processing going on at the moment the first batch of Beef stock is now chilling in readiness for processing tomorrow (Wednesday 3 January 2024).

The second Batch of Beef stock is now cooking.  All prepped up.



In addition, I also have some more Gammon stock to process (both lots are strained and clear). 





I will process all the stock that is ready tomorrow in a big batch.  However I have also prepped up some Chick Peas to fill in any gaps.  I can always process these later on separately if there is no room in the inn. When I normally do long processing cooking for the Pantry shelf, I try and fill my processing pan as much as possible to make the most of the energy costs. I have prepped up four jars of Chick Peas in readiness and there is room they are going in.  I am making these primarily for using to make Hummus, but as the beans are whole, I will be able to use them in stews and soups as well and blitz them up if necessary.  I only had a small bag to trial this and so it is very much an experiment. 

I may also do some carrot and swede mix for making Carrot and Swede Crush (a puree of carrots and swede which is extremely delicious) with any hearty meal but ridiculously expensive to buy. I also have a few parsnips that need prepping as well.  It looks like I may be running a second pan. As with most things any food that is made into something tasty, is worth that little bit of  extra time and effort.  A few jars here and there when processing something else of a similar time just helps you build up a little supply of things.

I had hoped to do some baking today but I did not get to it.  I have more bananas that need using up and since we have managed to demolish all the Banana Bread that I made last week (on the basis that we both like it), it looks as though it will be making a repeat performance on the cake front.  I also have in mind some other substantial traditional cake making too.  This will have to wait until tomorrow or the day after me thinks as things are slowly stacking up and as I am being very conscious to try and not over-load myself on the processing front. Another reason for me getting overwhelmed is that sometimes I do tend to over-plan and then get bogged down in the nitty gritty.  So this year I am trying to find a gentler option where I can still get ahead for practical reasons and keep my equilibrium and peace.

Therefore in reality a lot of work has gone on with preparing the different stocks, cooking the bones, letting things cool down, skimming off any fat, straining and then the final phase the bottling.  It will however be worth it in the longer run.

Still am pretty pleased with how things have gone to day.  The first of many productive days I hope.  Although I cook most days some days I have to do other things as well.  So will see how I get on with this.

Lots more to do on the morrow.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts