Slow Saturday and a Homemade Stir Fry

 Another "pottering" sort of day here in Peterborough.  Was a bit dull and dismal first thing, and not particularly warm either.

Have done some more work on the "Pantry", but more on that another day. Alongside sorting things out I am also looking to prepare an Inventory which I can use as a Master List for stocking the Pantry.

I did manage to nip to the Asian shop and get my replacement net of onions which am pleased about as I use onions an awful lot.  I also picked up a small bag of Onion powder (only a small one).  Will be going back for more of that and also a big bag of garlic powder as well.  I am intent on getting the Pantry contents in order and fine-tuned to make sure that I have all the items I consider are needed readily available.  This week I am planning on doing some preserving for the Pantry shelf. I need a fall back set of food for quick meals to be ready for leaner times of the month.  At the moment, I have the following items to preserve:

4 bags of New Potatoes

4 bags of Carrots

Two bags of Parsnips

3 Swede

One mega large pumpkin

Two smaller Pumpkins

I am starting small and hoping to build a stock up on a regular basis.  The first three items were reduced and I intend to continue haunting the reduced section for the main part to put this stock of useful items together.

Today as I have said have also bought in a new net of onions.  I intend to make some French Onion soup from these.

As mentioned before I also have Seville Orange Marmalade, Strawberry Jam and Lemon Marmalade to make.

During the week when we went to Iceland Warehouse we picked up a large tray of chicken tenders for £11.50  about 1.65 kg in weight.  Tonight I used some of the contents to make a homemade chicken stir fry.

I had some Broccoli left over in the fridge, also an onion, two carrots, Portobello mushroom sliced, stem ginger in syrup, syrup used in sauce, red pepper, a tin of sliced pineapple in juice; juice was used in the sauce, some petit-pois, fried chicken tenders, noodles and egg fried rice.  Sauce was made from pineapple juice, some sweet chilli sauce, also added in some Lemon Cheoung, Soy sauce, and the juices from the veggies thickened up with a little cornflour.  Served in large bowls with noodles on the bottom and a little of the egg fried rice to the side has gone down very nicely indeed.  There is some left for tomorrow as well.













I must say it went down very nicely.

I still have loads of chicken left so I may make a Chicken Pot Pie for tea tomorrow evening.  Just served simply with some mashed potato and some of the beautiful Purple Sprouting Broccoli bought yesterday.  Probably an Orange jelly with some Mandarin oranges in for pudding.

Hope everyone has a lovely evening.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. Your dinner sounds delicious! On canning, that's what we call it, I used to do it, water bath method. I quit about a dozen years ago and now freeze what I would have canned.
    My grandmother was a frugal person who preserved everything. I never became as proficient as she was, but I did much more than my mother did. She hated canning. I keep a good supply of canned and dry goods, but your ingenuity goes way beyond me, which is meant as a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra it was tasty. Have some in the fridge to use up tomorrow as well. Waste not want not. If I had the freezers I would probably freeze but as I do not at the moment I had to find a way to keep some stuff to hand. Sounds as though your Nan was a bit like mine. I seem to be able to see the potential in items or what to do with them as a matter of course. I like feeding people and I like to find different ways of doing things. Thank you for the compliment, gratefully accepted. Hugs Tricia xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts