Yesterday and Today - A quiet Pottering kind of day

The Sun has been out and has been a welcome sight after all the rain we have had.  It is cold though.  I nipped out earlier but did not stay out for long.

G has done his back in.  It is bad, the worst it has been in a good few years.  I am making him move around but he is currently dosed up with pain killers. Long story short many years ago whilst he was working his back went whilst operating a lathe (a Turner by profession).  He couldn't move and his Superintendent moved him and straightened him out which he should not have done.  He was off work over a year with it and could not get comfortable and dosed up with a heavy pain killer.  Turned out that working the lathe had caused a disability in that if his back was in a certain position through wear and tear it left him in pain.  He had to retire from being a Turner as a result as the way he had to stand at the lathe knocked his back out.  Gradually over the years he got better and it is a long time since he has been like this.  So he is going to have to take it easy and rest but he still has to keep moving about.  I have been running around a bit as a result but there we are it all makes life interesting!

I have been tackling some of the washing today, and it looks as though I am going to be busy for the best part of the week with some of the stuff found.  Needs freshening up and then restoring.

I have started on washing the pillows.  This is a time consuming job as it takes a while to get the pillows dry.  I buy when I can my pillows from Dunhelm.  They are feather and Goosedown but the whole pillow can be washed to clean it up.  The only problem is that it does take a long time to get the feather content all washed and dried.  It involves using the tumble drier several times.  I have found by trial and error, that drying the pillow for a cycle and then leaving it out to "air" then repeating this cycle helps dry the feathers and "puff" the pillows back up again to what they were.  As I have said it does take quite a few goes but it does do a very good job.  

Equally, I have also found that with Goose feather and down pillows and also cushion pads to re-fluff them up all you need to do is to put them singly into the tumble dryer, the cycle will then really fluff them up and also get rid of any dust, which if someone has asthma or is sensitive could trigger an attack.  This is something I have done for a lot of years.

We are having a curry for tea this evening - a pre-made one.  I have my yogurt at the ready as although I love the flavour of the spices I do not cope with even a mild curry very well.  I have found that the yogurt helps a lot.  Also have Naan bread and rice to go with as well.

Sunday

Another quiet day. I have pottered with several things.  I had one full jar of biscuit crumb ready on the Pantry shelf and as I had a few more biscuit crumbs to process, I dragged out a jug and a wooden rolling pin to process the crumbs.  Unfortunately I do not have a Food Processor at the moment.  Having had a Magimix 500 processor has really spoilt me.  I have been looking at replacing one but my heart is not in it as the Magimix did everything I needed it to.  Looks as though it is going to be a while before I manage to buy one.  Therefore I set too with a wooden rolling pin and jug and crushed the biscuits until really fine and then decanted them into another jar.  There are a couple of things I am going to do with the crumbs but I will share more on that another day.  

G's back is still not good - hence the quiet day.  He has been moving around, but is also taking it steady.

I shall be back in the groove tomorrow in the kitchen trying to bring things back up to scratch and get some more things sorted out and made.  I have a lot to do, plus loads more washing to get sorted.  It therefore looks as though it is going to be a very busy week.

We were supposed to have had roast pork for tea tonight.  However time got away with me leaving me with little time to roast the pork.  I therefore set too and we ended up having minted Lamb chops with carrots, boiled potatoes, Purple Sprouting Broccoli and cauliflower with gravy for tea.  Hit the spot and thoroughly enjoyed.  Was contemplating doing the Pork tomorrow but might prep the Mince up for the week as well if am going to be in the kitchen. I have a few ideas for this in any event and might put one of them into effect for Monday night's tea rather than the pork.  More will be revealed!

Right am off and am going to attempt to do a little bit of patchwork cutting.  Not touched this for nearly a month.  Must get back into the groove.

Have a lovely evening everyone, keep safe, keep happy.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Get some dryer balls - made from wool, about the size of a tennis ball, usually come in sets of three. They make a terrible racket in the dryer but really reduce the drying time for bulky things like pillows and duvets.

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peggy, thank you for that will have to see if I can get some next time I go into town. Tricia x

      Delete
  2. I have a collection of plastic dryer balls and they really work well - no more dryer sheets - and work really well when I need to dry my down parka - they would work very well for your pillows as well.
    I have had a similar day to you. I work from home on a Monday so I'm also able to pop in some laundry (did 3 loads today) - took out the garbage and recycling - and then made a trip to the grocery store for a bit of a stock up.
    I did have some roast pork for supper (already cooked and simply taken out of the freezer) - served with red cabbage, Brussel sprouts & carrots, along with mushrooms in a nice brown gravy.

    Hope your husband feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marjie, that is handy to know about your Parka. I have a Marmot Jacket with down in to keep me warm. Think this will be ideal to fluff it up in the tumbler. Must get those balls though Different form of juggling x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts