Sorting out some of the Craft Stuff

Notably UFOs.

Terribly relieved that the Craft Room/Computer Room/Study is now bottomed out.  Now I can turn to sorting out all the projects do have on the go and start getting some of them done.  First off though the tidy up in the back room.  




Various Kits and Charts

Thus far on my little excursion into the back bedroom I have located several kits/charts which I have decanted into a cardboard box for the time being.  There are quite a few projects in here that I want to work.  Original packaging fell to pieces on several of them, and so I decanted the contents into some poly bags for keeping everything together until they are worked.  Many of the kits and charts I have had for quite a few years.



I have a Lavender and Lace chart for the Celtic Spring Lady.  I also have the Winter one and several other charts but looking to add more of these to the collection.  Will see what happens.  I particularly like this range.

There is also a beautiful embroidered tablecloth kit with seasonal autumn images on like toadstools and pine cones.

Also a couple of Rose, Daisy and Forgetmenot transfer pillowslips to embroider as well. I do love a pretty pillowslip.  I think I have mentioned before that my Great Aunty Ivy (my Pop's sister) used to craft a lot.  Her lace crochet work was stunning and she regularly crocheted edging for cotton pillowslips.  Often given as a pair as a practical Christmas present.

As I have mentioned I intend to put one of my small embroidery frames/stands on the table so that I can work smaller projects.  I have to dig my freestanding Slate Frame and stand out of the heap at some point. (My main working frame and stand)  I do however need a freestanding magnifying lamp that I can swivel around where I need it.  That will come in due course as well as a tippy up stool/kneeling chair to use whilst working.  I had one but it got worn out as I used it so much.  Keeps my back straight.

So slowly starting to organise.

Am emptying every bag out as many of the bags have extra items in which are more for general sewing. I am therefore taking these out of the bags and popping into one of my sewing tins so that everything gets back to where it should be eventually.



Crochet Blanket

Another bag I pulled was full of crochet - not touched for a couple of years.  All ready to block and join and then crochet a border around.  I will need wool for that, but I should be able to get the blanket/throw together in readiness for buying in white wool and finishing off a border around it.  I think this will be one of the first UFO's will be attempting to get out of the way.  It is quite bulky so will free up some room in the back bedroom for something else.  I can then get the finished blanket into the blanket chest in my room.  It is worked in grey, white and light Turquoise.



UFO Vintage Glove Pattern



A while back I found a knitting pattern in my Nan's knitting pattern stash for a pair of mittens which I had started.  Now knitting is not my natural forte - it was for my Nan and my Mum, as they both always had something on the needles and my Nan used to knit the men in the family a pair of wool socks every year. I struggle a little more with it so it often takes me quite some time to finish something.  However I remember my Nan having these mittens herself; that kind of made it extra special that all these years later I am having a go at the same pattern.  Continuity.



There is also the wool to knit a hat and some hand warmers.  Scarf has been knitted just need to finish fringing this.

Knitted Aran Socks

Started these part way through one nearly finished.  Need to work the second one.  Also a learning curve as these are my first pair of socks.

Other People's Unfinished Items

Over the years I have also bought in part-worked items that other people have not been able to finish for one reason or another.  Usually at very cheap prices.  No more than £10 in a lot of cases most usually around £5 to £6.

I have a couple of beautiful vintage tablecloths under this category, one of which goes back to the second World War and features Poppies and Wheat/Oat stems.  The lady who sold me this was clearing items from her Mum's estate, and she wanted it to go to a good home.  It is only part-finished but an absolutely beautifully embroidered piece.  I want to get my embroidery a bit more up to scratch before tackling this particular one and its counter-part.





The second cloth is a beautiful embroidered panel tablecloth which styling reminds me very much of Art Nouveau style flowers.  The Poppy one is worked on a fine linen, and the flower one is a much coarser linen.  I want to be able to do both of these cloths justice and then use them.





Also under this category is a newer unfinished small tablecloth with a Grapevine pattern worked around the centre.  It is three-quarters complete and I do intend to finish this one as a practice piece and to get it out of the way.  Love the colouring.




I also want to work a couple of Sampler Cushion Panels which would be a new project start.  The chart I have had for sometime and came in a part-work.  Once I have some Aida to hand, I will be able to use existing threads from my embroidery stash.  They will be ideal to go into my Pine rocking chair and would be a quick project.



Cream Knitted Throw

Being worked in Moss Stitch.  Will get back on this as soon as I can.

Knitted Marled Jumper

All main pieces worked.  Have to join and knit up neckline.  Need to do research on this as have never done this before so very much will be a strong learning curve.

Knitted Lilac Jumper

Part way through this.  Need to find the other ball of wool.

Marled Pink Neck Shawl

Just needs fringing.

Marled Turquoise Neck Shawl

Just needs fringing.

I also managed to finish off my paper crafting box with everything I have found thus far.  Not sure whether there is anything else to materialise on this front, but the box is nearly full to the top.  Lots of items to play with and hopefully this year will get to make some Christmas cards for a change.







More work still to do in the back room - a heck of a lot of it, but a lot of the UFO bags have been sorted out and extra contents decanted back into the central tin/box and knitting needle bags etc which I will continue to do as I work along.  At some point I will then be able to re-organise the containers so that they are adapted for a particular medium - like embroidery, dressmaking, general sewing etc.  There is a greater plan lurking in the wings.

Still loads more to do.

Early morning this morning for me as a little dog (Missy) is a bit off colour.  We think old age but tends to come to me for reassurance and feeding rather than Dad.  She has therefore been topped up with a fresh cup of tea, a cuddle and a bowl of some soaked biscuits being as she seemed to have the munchies.  Mischief (the cat) has equally had some refreshments too just a different kind to Missy.

It is going to be another busy day in the back room.

Hopefully will be able to play catch up later on.

Have a good one

Pattypan

x


P.S. Weather is mild this morning, and have the windows open to freshen everything up a bit.  During the warmer months usually have the windows open a lot of the time.


xx


Comments

Popular Posts