Apple and Mint Relish

A few years ago I went to the Christmas Market (Lincoln)with my cousin and partner in Crime Mandy.  There was a food market there as well and we were busy tasting the sample pots as you do and Mandy came upon a relish I wasn't too sure of at first sight but on tasting it was fresh and lovely.  I took a card but lost it and since then haven't been able to find it or a recipe.  I have found a recipe for a fresh apple and mint relish it hardly has any vinegar in or sugar in so I am going to play with the recipe and see what I can come up with as it was a lovely relish.  I wish I had bought some at the time.

The following recipe which is a Simone Seekers one from her Quick and Easy Preserves book ISBN 0-563-36946-9 is the "Fresh" version and the original recipe ideal as a short term provision for the fridge.  The fresh version does not keep any more than a week in the fridge.

Ingredients:

1 medium cooking apple
1 large eating apple
2 tablespoons of cider vinegar
1 tablespoon of runny honey
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh mint
A pinch of salt
A pinch of ground allspice
A pinch of white pepper

Method

Peel and core the applies and put in the food processor together with the vinegar. Process briefly until finely chopped but not mush the vinegar will stop the apple from browning.  Mix well with the remaining ingredients and leave for 1 hour before serving.
I think that this might be particularly nice with left over cold pork and home made chips as it would be refreshing and moist compared to the texture of the pork which is always however well and carefully you cook it a little on the dry side.  Together with some left over home made stuffing.
 
I am going to have a play anyway  report back later
 
 


Comments

Popular Posts