Kichen notes Saturday 17 September 2016

Well a bag of shallots and a bag of small pickling onions have found their way home with me today.  I have ordered another two nets of both and may still buy more.  We eat a lot of cheese and the pickled shallots or onions go well with them and sometimes I give them out as part of a Christmas gift as well.

I have also asked again about Damsons at the veg shop and she is going to ask her Dad if he will keep an eye out for some for me.  I don't hold out much hope but you never know.

I also need to get one kg of nice long thin chillis for drying and also for making chilli jam which is another favourite condiment.  Perks up a sandwich very nicely.

I have the ingredients for more piccalilli and I shall get those on the go for tomorrow.  I have bought four new white bowls in which to pop the ingredients for brining. With a covering of cling film in a nice cold place they should brine very nicely.  I still have loads to do on the pickling and preserving front.

I have bought 2kg of fresh Bramley apples and have some tomatoes so I think some tomato and apple chutney could well be on the cards for tomorrow and maybe some apple chutney as well.  I am also keen to get some red onion chutney and my onion and garlic marmalade on the go too.

I also intend when the root veggies of parsnip, swede etc start to put in a proper appearance in the shops to make some of the souper mix out of Pam Corbin's River Cottage preserves book as it makes a lovely base for gravies and soup.

I have bought the first tranche of dried fruit as I hope to get the Christmas cakes made next weekend.  I still have not made my mincemeat but that can be done during the week and it will be ready in plenty of time.

I have also been and bought some natural bran, fine oatmeal and medium oatmeal, some sunflower and pumpkin seeds as well as hemp seeds for the pantry.  I am starting to accumulate my ingredients for home made muesli and granola and also want to have a go at making Dukkah. I am trying to incorporate more grains and seeds into my diet in various ways.  We eat a lot of veggies as well.

This evening I have had smoked kippers for my tea which has gone down very nicely.  I like fish and try and get this into our diet as much as I can.  I have an inkling for a home made fish pie.  Might get the ingredients next week and make one for tea and pop some in the freezer as well.

I have also bought an electric pressure cooker which I am experimenting with at the moment.  I have always been a keen advocate of using a pressure cooker.  I was bought up to it as my mum always used one and so as technology has moved on a tad  I thought that I would give this a try.

So far this year I have made over 60 jars of jam and there is still some more to be made.

Better get a wriggle on.

Hopefully catch you soon.

Pattypan

x




Comments

  1. I love the variance in your cooking. 60 jars, wow!! What will you do with it all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, you have lots planned. I did at least make some Mincemeat with the windfall Pippins today. I don't just use it for mince pies but make Mincemeat cakes throughout the year.

    I am not jam making this year, but may do a batch of something as Christmas gifts when I'm not so busy.

    It sounds like you have bought the same beasty as me - the electric pressure cooker. Mine does all sorts of other things too and is a brilliant slow cooker. It's an Instant Pot 7-in-one cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so inspired by your kitchen activities and can't wait to get pickling as well. That is, in between all the knitting etc, haha. Big hugs to you.xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts