Ginger Wine



By the way this article is my own personal opinion and not an advertisement for any particular organisation or body.  Just something I personally use from time to time.





Those sharp eyed amongst you may have noted that a bottle of Stones green ginger wine is on my list of bought items for the Christmas put away.  (Crabbies also do a version but the version I bought the other day i.e. the Stones is the one I am more acquainted with as it is the version my parents and grandparents used to have in house for Christmas as a drink or as an addition to whisky ie a whisky mac.



However I like a glass of it on its own, especially if it has been chilled in any event though it can be used for so much more.  

It is also a good wine to make at home see here: 


In syllabub or zabaglione recipe  instead of white wine, in fruit salads as an addition to the sugar syrup to give a little more zing.  You can use elderflower, lemon, orange and other syrups in the same way. Syrups do not only have to be drunk but make interesting additions to baking, fruit salads and other foods.

I also make an ice cream topping from preserved stem ginger soaked in the green ginger wine* and then a little dribbled on top of good home made vanilla ice cream  made with proper cream.  Always made with proper cream or proper cream custard.  I will add the recipe for you as it is a good way of using up dried stem ginger when it has been in the cupboard for a little while.  Waste not want not.  I then pop it into little jars and each time we have ice cream I bring out a jar off the shelf.  I also do rums in raisins, brandy yellow sultanas, and nuts in honey which also make delightful additions to ice cream (must be home made vanilla ice cream made with a proper vanilla pod) or (Cinnamon Ice cream which is lush.  there is of course brandy and yellow sultana ice cream, rum and raisin ice cream.... 

It is also added to a Christmas drink called ginger snap*, which is a drink for Christmas and one which I will put up the recipe for in due course in the run up to Christmas.



For other ideas as to what to do with Ginger Wine please see here for both drink and food recipes:


So there is much more to a bottle of green ginger wine than meets the eye.

* recipes to follow

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


UPDATE:

I have since found this video on You Tube from John Wright at river Cottage.  This is what is called a "Ginger Nut" Cocktail drinks recipe which to me sounds very good.  I am very interested though in the Chestnut Liqueur.  Might have to source a recipe for that (if I have not got one already).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krVY9ZBqykg

Catch you soon.

PP


Comments

  1. Keith absolutely adores ginger in any shape or form, so your recipe for the soaked stem ginger topping for ice cream wouldn't go amiss here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi BB,

    I adore ginger too. I have made it from scratch both the wine and preserved candied ginger and in syrup before now. It did not turn out too badly but was in tiny pieces rather than in the balls. I will pop up the recipe and photos in the next few days for you. It keeps quite nicely on the pantry shelf. You can use it as an ice cream dressing but you can also tip it into a batch of home made vanilla ice cream and then freeze and serve in little bowls. xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts