Trip Down Memory Lane and an unfinished project

I have been beavering away at my needlepoint and it is a little slow going but it is starting to grow very slowly notwithstanding that so far I have put about 18 hours worth of work on it - many more to come yet but it will be worth it in the long run.  I will show photos once the project is finished.  I have been managing to do an hour or so before going to bed.

I have also been rootling through ebay again to see if I can find any bargains.  I was particularly looking at Samplers this evening and I came across one quite by chance which I started nearly 40 years ago when I was first married.  I have somewhere along the line managed to put the colour instructions and the thread somewhere safe and have not been able to locate them.  It made me feel very guilty and all the more determined to locate the threads and the instructions so that I can finish it.  I loved the sampler when I first saw it I think that the only decent thing would be to get her finished.  This is my oldest outstanding kit.

The kit itself was a reproduction of an original American Sampler if I can remember rightly reproduced on linen with the crosses and shapes stamped on for even the most novice of needle-workers to have  a go at - way back then I was very much a novice.  The idea was that you washed the panel once completed, and there was room for personalising it as well.  All the blue ink washed out and washing the linen gave it a slubbier appearance.

Here are some photos of the part of the sampler I am still working. There is a frame all the way round the design which I have worked  - its the bottom bit that is waiting completion.  It is a very pretty sampler and more colourful (or it will be when it is finished).





Here is the link to the ebay site



And this is what it is supposed to look like when it is finished



So I think operation find the thread and chart is about to start.  It will be bagged up somewhere as that is what I do it is just locating it.

This however is the sampler on which this kit was based.  Apparently it is a very rare kit/chart to find these days well worth over $200.  Apparently it is a Mary Batcheldor Sampler.



Have you any unfinished UFOs and if so are yours as old as mine.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x 


Comments

Popular Posts