Vintage Embroidery What to do Next - Pictures and Framing

Over the past 18 months or so I have invested in some pieces of embroidery which have been superbly and expertly worked. A lot of them are well over 30 years old if not more. A lot did not have frames, some have.  Those that are framed, the frames are not particularly good and well to say the least rotten so they will need replacing.  Therefore it makes sense for all the pieces I have thus far obtained to be framed similarly.  Some of the pictures are quite large as well.  No doubt I will have to pay out to have one or two of the really larger ones sorted although I am hoping to avoid this if at all possible.

I have mentioned before that I have been buying from Charity Shops and the like cheap pine frames which often have orrible pictures in but surprisingly they have a very good frame.  So as far as I am concerned it will be a fair swap but it will be time consuming.  I have opted to do things this way on as it will be a lot cheaper in the long run.  I therefore intend to work one at a time and have proper mounting card frames cut for the size of pictures I am contemplating.  Some of the pieces already have a rim around the fabric where they have  been tacked down and so as to make the best of the picture I thought that this may be the fairest way of tackling things and getting them restored sensitively.

Once all of them are reframed and tidied up I am hoping to have a wall in my front room to display these pieces but ultimately it will have to be out of the sun as I do not want these beautiful works to sustain sun damage.  Alternatively, in this house I believe that the stair well may be the safest place to display them as the sun does not get into the stair well at all.

This is one of those jobs that does need doing and as I have said if I work one at a time, it will quite quickly chip away at all the work that needs to be done in this respect.  They are beautiful pieces and therefore need setting off to the best effect possible.  As each one is completed I will pop up a post.

There is more work to do on lots of other things.  One has to start somewhere and therefore because these are currently easily to hand I thought it best to get them out of the way with first.  I can then concentrate on the piles of lace mats, tablecloths, tray cloths etc. to turn into crazy patchwork cushions, quilts, lace throws etc.  Once done they can then either be put up on the wall or if not put into storage in clean wrappings until I get out of here which will happen eventually.  I can feel it in my bones!

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts