I only went in for a look around honest Guvnor

……………..had not been there for some time. I am talking of course of Hobbycraft. I could really seriously hang out here even more if required.  It would never be a chore. I will never go to heaven.

Got a tad expensive.  Was quite taken with the fact that they have organised things better in the store and made more of a feature of the items they are selling. Umpteen pounds later!  Rather a lot of pounds later I have come back with several bits and bobs including a new mini glue gun and sticks, a pyrograph machine for £10, (I have been after one of these for a little while so I jumped at the chance of getting this.  I just need some wooden boxes to practice on.  I also bought some dies for my Big Shot, some Ball preserving jars as they were on offer at least half price £7 for 6 standard mouthed jars advertised at £14.99.  Might go back and get some more tomorrow as they really were a good price and I am starting to get into the swing of canning stuff.  More on that later on.  

I have splurged on some wool.  Found a pattern for a knitted jumper with an Aran style centre panel.  Do not think it is too complicated but I may yell for help as I am not a natural knitter and I get easily confused. Never attempted anything with a cable in before.  The wool is a lilac mauve colour 3 x 200g,  I so need some new jumpers and the only way to get what I want at a reasonable price is to knit them myself.  Well try and knit them myself.  Will see how I get on.  I am a great fan of jumpers to keep me warm especially during the winter months.  The wool was £15, £6 for knitting needles two sizes and I got the longer length, £4 for two stitch holders (£2 each( and £3 for the pattern £30 all told.  However I am pleased with the yarn.  I saw another colourway that I quite liked as well and if this one goes well I may well go and get some more of the other colour which is a deep purple with peacock colours in it.

There was a lot of Christmas stuff in for cardmaking and also general stuff like pumpkins and skeleton head cut outs and spiders for Halloween.  I bought a couple of pieces on the Halloween side and may go back for some other bits and a proper look at the Christmas stuff.  I have come away with a nice wooden Advent calendar piece that lights up in any event and a garland of stockings.

I saw a wooden box which will be ideal for me to try the pyrograph machine on, but came away without it as I had far too much stuff to bring home.  Hobbycraft was my first port of call.  I shall have to look out for some suitable blanks to play with.  If I go back tomorrow I might have to appropriate a box or two.

I have also bought some other little pieces.  A picture with paper butterflies mounted inside.  A couple of metal butterflies which are free hanging.  Butterflies are symbolic of freedom.

I also bought some wooden letters spelling "Tricia".  Last time I looked they did not have all the letters but I am planning to do something in a frame with these.

This evening I have been recipe searching for ideas for the Canner and the Steam Canner.  I have been writing the recipes down for my own use and to test whether they work for us as a family.  So far I have recipes for soup, stock, sweet and sour sauce, grapefruit, Bruschetta in a jar, Ginger spiced plum sauce, Strawberry pie filling, lots of other pie fillings, French Onion Soup.  I am handwriting them down n a book so that the recipes are all kept together.  I have been doing a couple of an evening.  I am also interested in stew, chicken pot pie filling amongst other things.  So I am going to be playing an awful lot in the next few days amongst everything else I have on the go.

Right am a little tired it has been a very busy day but an extremely enjoyable one.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. You must have a better-stocked Hobbycraft that we have in Swansea then, as when I've been in there I haven't been tempted by anything! Perhaps they just had a lot of fresh stock in for the autumn. Enjoy your crafting and making in the kitchen too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BB

      I was a little surprised too as the last time I went in I was not particularly fussed with much. However sections of the store yesterday had obviously been re-vamped and some thought had gone into how specific items were being displayed i.e. their chief sellers such as the Big Shot and they carry a couple of lines of dies but these instead of being elsewhere this time were altogether. They also had a crafting area set up for children which was not there before. In our store there are still certain items they are not carrying like the Anchor and DMC Tapisserie wools. However they carry both makes of embroidery thread. It just looked better organised and complimentary items were near each other to spur the ideas as it were. How long it will last for I do not know but it was pleasing to see. Whether they have a new Manager I do not know, but something has happened. What saddens me about Hobbycraft is that when they first started off our nearest store was Milton Keynes and they used to offer all sorts of courses. However that seems to have gone by the by which is a shame. Hope you are keeping well and have enjoyed your time with Tam and the others on Sunday. Take care Tricia xx

      Delete
  2. Good for you. Nothing like a bargain at the craft store. Sounds like you're well stocked for some crafty evenings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts