Rosehips, Rowan, Haws, Crab Apples and Sloes

I still have a lot to do on the preserving front on the wildings front.

Rosehips are still required to be collected and harvested to dry to give extra vitamin C during the winter months and to make rosehip syrup, and rosehip and crab apple jelly and rosehip vinegar.  If I can harvest enough also to make some wine.

Haws are required for Haw Sin sauce

Rowan berries are required for jelly and crab apple and rowan jelly.



Crab apples are required for making both crab apple jelly and spiced crab apple jelly, spiced crab apples, and also pectin for use in jam making in the coming years.

Sloes are required for sloe and crab apple jelly, sloe gin, sloe chocolate.

The weather has been atrocious for the past few days and I am hoping it dries up a bit so that I can get out and collect what I need to make the above.  I have already done a recce last week and everything was available just need a nicer day for me to walk Missy and do my foraging at the same time.  We used to be able to get mushrooms as well but they seem to have dried up.  We particularly seemed to get the puffballs and they were delicious.  Does not stop me looking though.  One never knows.

I also need some twigs for Christmas decorations and teasel heads and some more of the larch cones.  So I shall take my trolley with me on my trip to bring everything back in.  It is a lot easier as well when handing a Jack Russell on a lead.  She is very good when it is just her and I and she trots along quite happily with me.  She thinks she can do what she likes though if OH is there.  So fingers crossed I will be able to get out and about in the next day or so.

Right must get a wriggle on.  Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts