A little Project - Rosemary Salt



I love fresh herbs and am a particular fan of fresh Rosemary as well.  One of my latest finds is Rosemary salt sprinkled over French Fries or chips.  It is lush (well I think it is there is a certain member of my household who is not keen on Rosemary).  I found this little gem on the menu of the restaurant I go to with my friend in Stamford, Paten & Co.  I have been hooked ever since.  In the past when I have found a flavour or taste that I particularly like, when I have looked to see if there is anything commercially available  I have often been disappointed or the price has been horrendous as in the case of lavender sugar!  Especially when it is so easily made at home.

I use fresh Rosemary a lot especially if we have a leg of lamb as I stud it with cloves of garlic and little tiny sprigs of fresh Rosemary.  It gives a totally different flavour to the meat; enhances it.  I always dry plenty as well for the winter months as a stand alone herb. I use a lot of herbs and make my own mixes and bundles (bouquet garni) and their different combinations for different meats or faggots of herbs and they have so much more flavour than commercially bought ones. 

However, as I have taken such a  fancy to the Rosemary salt I decided to look into how it was made.  I was not sure whether it would be just a matter of adding dried Rosemary to the salt, but the tutorials I have come up with have all suggested that  it is better to use fresh herb.  The herb stems can be used as part of a firelighter bundle so nothing will be wasted.

I have found this lovely simple tutorial from Arlene at "Flour on your Face" How to make Rosemary Salt.  I have some Maldon sea salt that I am going to use - I keep it in on the pantry shelf.  The post also gives ideas for how to make and give as part of  a Christmas hamper present.

So no photos at present but as soon as that phone is found I shall take some photos of my large jar of Rosemary salt.

I also need to make some Rosemary jelly as well.

I also have a load of dill salt to make as well.  I have decided that I am going to do Gravadlax again this Christmas and so I will need the flavoured salt to hand ready to go on the Pantry shelf.  The more you get into cooking and preserving the more you find that makes your Pantry shelf that little bit different to what everyone else has and which adds so much more flavour.   We all need a little salt in our diets it is one of life's essentials. 

Catch you later.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Oh Patty, YUM! I love rosemary as well but SO definitely doesn't. We went to a restaurant that had french fries with garlic, rosemary and a light dusting of finely grated parm. Oh my!
    We went back and I 'dissected' it - they deep fried whole garlic cloves, sprigs of rosemary about 3-4" in length and fresh cut potatoes. After it came out of the fryer they dusted it with finely grate parm. Can I just say I could eat that once a week! I keep trying to grow it but haven't had much success. I am going to try again with a larger plant (perhaps from Trader Joe's). Thanks for the posting on making it with flake salt - that is something I could do with roasted potatoes and only put on my 'side'. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary, now that sounds really nice. We like garlic and parmesan here too. As I have said OH not too keen on Rosemary but at least this way round I have the option of adding it in as well. I have never grown garlic either. Wish you well with that venture. Think you can grow it from the bought garlic from the shop, any that starts to shoot pop a single clove into an individual pot (however many pots are needed) and it will grow a new bulb. As I said have never tried it but that is what I have read somewhere. Wish you well on that front. Bulbs of garlic with just the tops chopped off put in a roasting pan with some olive oil or alongside a roast go lovely and soft and unctuous and then I squeeze the paste out of the cloves once roasted and keep in a small pot in the fridge to add to other dishes. Should keep covered for a couple of weeks but has a mellower flavour. Take care Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts