Kumquats

Why do I always find these a couple of days before Christmas?  I could do with them well before then.  I have had them in the fridge since but now time to turn them into something to use for next Christmas.  I am talking of Kumquats.  I have in the past made preserved Kumquats which are delicious.  The whole fruit is warmed through in a thick syrup a bit like stem ginger in syrup and then dished up with some cream (there is a bit more to it than that, but will give details later).  It makes a wonderful treat.  I serve Rumptopf fruits the same way at Christmas.  Lush and pretty special.  Anyway I digress.


Kumquats in case you have not come across them are a small citrus fruit with a difference.  The skin is sweet and the flesh is sour.  The complete reverse of what normal citrus fruit is. They are also extremely tiny in size.  I used to make preserved Kumquats when my father was alive and he really liked them.  However this time round I would like to make some Kumquat marmalade and some Kumquat Liqueur.  Fingers crossed that I will be able to obtain a few more to make the marmalade.  If I can get a few more there are some other recipes that I would like to have a go at.  They are not cheap and so very much are a speciality treat.  The ones I got before Christmas were £1 for a very small bag they have since gone up to £2 a bag (150g) so as I say expensive but for a little taste of something different they are worth it.

However one of the first recipes I am going to have a go at is Kumquat Liqueur.  I do not need much fruit for that.

I have sterilised a large jar and have popped about 6oz of sliced Kumquat into the jar and then tipped in a standard bottle of vodka to infuse over the next week.  I will add sugar in the form of a syrup a little at a time at the end as I do not like things too sweet and cough syrupy so will adjust to suit my own palate after the week.  Once how I want it to be I will then sterilise a clean bottle and closure and re-decant the spirit into it's new home.  

That will be the first thing off the list for the Pantry for 2020.  Not had this before so am looking forward to trying something different.  Will need to get another bottle of vodka in to replace the one just used.

I will start the marmalade off tomorrow.  The fruit has to macerate overnight in sugar before boiling up the next day.

Have you used Kumquat's before and if so what did you do with them.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts