Real Life Tuesday

It is currently grey and chilly here, and the day started quietly.  I have dealt with the batch of the pickling onions and they are now soaking in salt to draw out the liquids.  They will be finished off later on this evening after being washed and then sterilising the jars, packing them with the onions and then adding the cold spiced vinegar with some bay leaves and some home dried chilli and peppercorns. In the meantime it is back to the grind in the kitchen to do a little more.  All grist to the mill.

The cleaning vinegar was started last night as well and the peel is now soaking in white vinegar.  I had to use the smaller jar as I could not find the larger one I was after. It will turn up.  Things do when you don't need them.

We stopped for a light lunch of beans on toast which has nicely filled a gap.  We are definitely having the Steak and Ale pie for tea with veggies and I did not want to be over-filled so that we could not tackle this.  It is a very large Steak and Ale pie and my mouth is watering.

I have also come across a recipe for making a tomato sauce/pasta sauce from tinned tomatoes which I may make later on during the week.  It does not make a lot, but enough.  I have enough tinned plum tomatoes in stock, but we hardly have any home done pasta sauce left.  As it is good to get as much as you can out of any one preserve, it being able to be used as a ketchup as well is intriguing me.  I can only try it and if I am not happy with the recipe it will not make it into my recipe book to be revisited.  It would be nice to make home made pizza for one of the meals this week. I have chorizo, cheese, onion, tomatoes and peppers in the fridge so it would be good to make use of these later in the week; will need that tomato sauce though.  Might make that tomorrow will see.

Right back to the grind a lot more to do yet.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts