Getting sorted - the freezers

I have a major job in the next few weeks to sort out and that is to strip and scrub out all three freezers.  I have a large chest freezer and two upright freezers.  They are located in the shed. I also have the two wine coolers one of which is designated for a Charcuterie cave and the other for wine.  They are both due for scrub out.  I also need to get these sorted as to what I am going to put in which freezer.  The newest upright freezer I think will be designated for things I need to get to easily.  Meat will predominantly go into the large chest freezer and I tend to store veg in the other one.

However in order to achieve this I also need to sort out the shed which has become a bit of a dumping ground.  I will need a good weather day for this and it will I think be a weekend job so that OH can assist me with this.  

Once this is all done I can then go shopping and start to re-stock the freezers. I am lost without my freezers. The large chest freezer is the main storage area and predominantly I store meat in here.  It has four baskets across the top for storing things such as puff pastry, herb cubes, horseradish cubes, flavoured butters.  I also store portions of fresh squeezed passion fruit juice and either incorporate this into a pudding, use it as a sauce on ice cream, or to flavour cream.  There are lots of things that I do like this myself.  My mum and Nan always put stuff up themselves in the freezers.  We used to take advantage of seasonal products this way as we knew the provenance of the product, it was seasonal, worked out cheaper and made sure that we had food for the months to come.

In the run up to Christmas I also make home made ice cream and then store this in the freezer for use over Christmas,  Cinnamon ice cream is to die for and I also make fruit sorbets.  Gives a nice pudding in its own right or peps something else up.  The freezer allows me to make things for us to eat that you may not necessarily be able to buy.

I also have plans later on in the year to make a big batch of pork pies and freeze them, so that we have a ready supply in the freezer.  They will just need to be cooked from frozen.  I also have ideas to make a couple of feasting pork pies (the large ones the size of a sandwich cake as well).

I had better get  myself a bit more organised first.  Once this is done I should then be able to go shopping.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. We have a big chest freezer, a small freezer which is part of our fridge/freezer and an overspill freezer downstairs, which is still giving us fruit laid down last summer. I'd like to empty it to save on electricity to run it - lots of blackberries in it, so I think I may start making wine again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts