Alternative to rooting hormone powder - experiments in gardening

I had plans to root some cuttings and bought said donor herbs in the confidence that I had some rooting powder at home.  Wrong - cannot locate it anywhere not a good situation.  Not content to leave it there as I have some experiments in taking cuttings to increase my plant stock on the cards, I wondered if something else could be substituted and also do an efficient job.  I found the attached link, which makes interesting reading.




The method that appealed to me the most was the honey method, but I also intend to use ACV and also the cinnamon versions.  This is all stuff that I have in my cupboard and use on a regular basis and best of all there is as a result not going to be any unnecessary expenditure.  Just the way I like it and natural.  That appeals to me more than anything else.


I therefore have a batch of honey water all ready for me to root my cuttings in today, and I will let you know how I get on.



You need two cups of boiled water to which you add one tablespoon of honey.  Stir to dissolve and then pour into a clean jar with a lid allow to cool before use.  Then keep in the fridge for no longer than two weeks.



Take your cuttings as you normally would and dip the stems into the cooled honey water and then plant your cuttings into a pot to root them.  Transplant them once rooted.



It sounds simple enough, but then I am renowned for finding an alternative way around things.


So off for a little play in this lovely sunshine.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts