Gathering things together

 Is it me, or is autumn quietly slipping in a little earlier than expected.  The Holly tree in the front garden has masses of berries on it already, a country sign that we may well have a cold winter this year.

Despite popping off for holidays (we are extremely lucky in that OH has retired) and he wants to see more of this country, I have been gathering things together. Like layers in a spider's web, I am doing things slowly so that I will be able to draw all the layers together and start the preparation for Christmas.  I want to make sure that I am reasonably stocked up compared to last year and I want the puddings and the cakes done with before we go on holiday again in September.

At this time of year I predominantly always start stocking up on baking ingredients and dried fruit.  Usually there are offers on which makes it cheaper to do bulk buys. At the moment I have not seen any. I am talking predominantly about ingredients for Christmas cakes and puddings.  I am currently gathering some ingredients together and buying a little here and there.  Each time I shop I look to see what is in store.  Today I have seen mixed peel and glace cherries which I have not seen for a long time so one of each came home with me. I will need some more, but a little at a time will not hurt.

Today I have also been to the reductions counter  in my local Co-Op.  I have bought a mixture of reduced tomatoes and they are going into the dehydrator to dry through thoroughly, sprinkled with a little homegrown Oregano and a little garlic powder.  Once dried I can then decide what I am going to do with them.  Predominantly tomato powder I think for this batch to add flavour to stews, casseroles and home made bread.

I have also picked up three small packets of Blueberries.  They are going to be frozen as is and used to make home made Blueberry muffins which are a favourite around here. Blueberries are very good in fighting off infections and also help regulate your immune system as they tackle any naughty toxins/antibodies in your system and help boost your immune system.  I also use them cooked down a little to add to my home-made yogurt. Delicious it is too and you can sweeten to taste if the berries are too tart for your liking.  It is well worth freezing fruits like this for winter use as they can not only be used in yogurt they can be used in smoothies and milk shakes. You can also dry them and use them in home made Muesli or Granola.

I also bought a punnet of the first Victoria plums that I have seen today.  I will have to have a look at what the veg shop has in as I have plans to freeze some, make jam, make jelly (wonderful in home made stir-fries) as well as for use in baking.  I also want to bottle some in syrup for use in winter puddings as well as make plum chutney and Christmas chutney.  As a result there is going to be a lot to do, without what is going on at the house at the moment. We have quite a bit of stuff to deal with before the winter months hit decorating etc.

I also spotted some Sea Buckthorn berries as well to make sauce/cordial.  If the weather improves will be making a foraging trip shortly.

Right must get on.  Will conclude the first holiday notes in the next few days.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x  


Update:

The Christmas Chutney recipe I am going to make I posted the recipe in 2010.  For those of you wanting to have a go at a chutney, this is a really lovely one that has a really rich Christmassy colour especially if you use purple plums.  This is a regular make here.


The link to the post is here for those of you who are interested.

Christmas Chutney

PP

Comments

  1. Christmas chutney sounds wonderful! I looked up a recipe and there is aubergine in it (in Canada we call it eggplant) and we aren't fond of eggplant...does your recipe call for it, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lefting hope you are keeping safe and well. Uses purple plums. Will dig the recipe out for you. Has no aubergine Tricia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lefting, have located the recipe for you, I had posted it quite sometime back. The link is here https://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.com/2010/10/christmas-chutney.html. Hope this helps it is a very nice chutney and a good one to give away to friends as part of a hamper. Take care Tricia x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts