Christmas Eve

Things have been a little hectic here as I suggest they have been in most households throughout the country as everybody prepares to celebrate Christmas in their own unique way.  There is no right and wrong way. 

I still have plenty to do in readiness for tomorrow, but we have sampled the Colston Bassett Stilton and it is delightful.  We gave the kids a third of the 2kg Stilton so it has been equally shared between us.  It is well worth the buy.  I am not the greatest lover of Stilton and have found what is sold as Stilton in the supermarkets is far too strong we believe that is because it is wrapped in cling film or plastic.  All our cheese is wrapped in waxed paper.  It keeps much better this way and if you store it in the salad server of your fridge (if it has one) it keeps exceptionally well.

Santa's sack arrived full of red ones this afternoon.  I am talking a sack of potatoes here.  Am very happy that I have the prospect of lots of meals including potatoes for the foreseeable. My tray of eggs is also here as well.  Even though I am planning on growing veg next year I do not have room to grow potatoes so I may well plant some tubs up to provide a few.

The Turkey we have is superb I just hope it tastes as good.  It has been put on a base of celery, carrot and onion and buttered well before wrapping in foil.  It is now oven ready. 

I always use the neck and liver to help make the gravy and soak this in water with some mixed herbs, white pepper and an onion studded with cloves (.  It is left to simmer on the cooker and then I use the "stock" to the main gravy pan.  The neck is given to the cats and a little of the liver is mashed into the gravy.  The cats have any remains.

Still have the rest to sort out.  I do have to start the sausage meat stuffing tonight and will then finish it off in the morning. Pigs in blankets are done.  I have Bread sauce and the Cranberry and Grand Marnier sauce to make. The ham is soaking - I always soak my ham before roasting as I find the flavour is finer especially when cooked in either honey or marmalade with ginger.  Yummy.

The veggies will be prepared first thing.

I am cooking the parsnips and the carrots in honey.  The parsnips have plain honey and the carrots have lemon thyme honey.  We are having roast potatoes and mashed potatoes, peas, broccoli and Brussel Sprouts, followed by home made Christmas pudding.

Well I am off to get on.

May I wish you all a Happy Christmas, be happy but most of all keep safe.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. It sounds all so delicious!!! But so much work, envy your energy. Have a great and merry Christmass from Holland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy, I hope you had a lovely time too. It was extremely tasty xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts