Wednesday Round up

We managed to get a new kettle.  I have bought a glass one which lights up when it is working as something a little different.  The Reviews on it were good as well. So we shall see how we get on with it.  It is a Russell Hobbs and should fit in well with the rest of the kitchen.  


We have had a lot of replacement equipment recently.  The tumble dryer is due to arrive on 29 December. Not a day too soon as far as I am concerned. There is one more thing that I would like for cake baking and that is a Kenwood Chef.  Might have to look for that in the sales. For 40 odd years I have had a Kenwood until it failed on me the other week; so am a bit bereft without it.

It is very wet, cold and dismal here in Peterborough today.  We have had that much rain that some of the roads have flooded quite badly.  Does not seem as though it it is about one and a half days to Christmas.  Still quite a bit to do.

I have been to the veg shop.  I have a tray of eggs coming tomorrow (baking day tomorrow  - it is traditional in our family as well as prepping the Turkey and all the accoutrements.  It was peeing down with rain so I said would collect in the morning.   I am also having a sack of red potatoes delivered.  Bit happier now that have the eggs and the potatoes.  The lad from the veg shop carries them over to my house - very helpful like that.

I have fruit, melon, apples, bananas, grapes, pears, a couple of fresh pineapple, eating apples some Egremont Russets which are nice with cheese and some Gala (they were reduced), and Tangerines.  So can do a fresh fruit salad which will please OH.  I also bought some Newton Wonder cooking apples maybe will make a home made apple pie or crumble. There is also red cabbage, white cabbage (so can make own coleslaw if necessary, lettuce a whole one, celery, carrots, Brussel Sprouts on a stem with a cabbage on the top. Then there is cauliflower, swede, Sweet Potatoes, onions.  Cucumber, Squash, Spring onions,  The veg people are on holiday for a week from tomorrow evening and so I have loaded up with plenty of veg to keep us going.  Only simple cooking but I have the options of doing home made chips, home made quiche and various other options including Bubble and Squeak.  I have not paid out for more exotic fruit as I have some Strawberries in the freezer

Tomorrow is my main baking day. This is a family tradition on both sides that goes back quite a few generations. I have pastry to make, some cake to make, maybe a Pavlova.  I watched Mary Berry giving tuition to three non-cooks on TV tonight and one of them made Mango and Passionfruit Pavlova.  It looked stunning so that may well be on the cards.  Now that the kitchen is tidy.  I also got pears so I am definitely going to have a go at the Pear Souffle ala Rick Stein.  Will not be able to make the Cider Perry ice cream this year, but next year may well be a different case.  I am thinking of having a go at making my own Perry too.  I love Cider and mum used to make Perry when I was younger so grew up with it.  It seemed popular for a while and then disappeared until recently when it has become popular again.  I have also bought some bought puff pastry and am going to make some cheese savouries for OH and also some home made Mieulles Feuille with icing and butter cream.  If you have fresh cream you can whip this and then pipe in.   I also have mince pies (with my mincemeat) and some sausage rolls to make.

We have to visit the children at some point tomorrow.  I have to stay in the car but can wave at them. I have a couple of little dresses for the granddaughter as she likes dressing up.  I just hope she likes them.

Tomorrow I also have the ham to cook and roast.  It is going to be done in the Ninja this year

I think it is going to be a very quiet New Year with all sorts of restrictions; but I for one although I like to see the New Year in prefer to celebrate Christmas so no big deal for me.  Perhaps the New Year that comes in quietly will work out best for everyone at the end of the day.  We want everyone safe with their loved ones and away from this dreaded infection and its mutation.  The whole of Cambridgeshire is now under Level 4 restrictions in the matter of a few days.  Just keep safe wherever you are.


Take care 

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I have a kettle that lights up when it's working. A lovely shade of blue! Not Russell Hobbs.

    I have a Kitchenaide mixer. I waited years for it and love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello 50 and counting. I am very pleased with the kettle mine lights up blue too.

      I have always had a Kenwood and have quite a few attachments for it hence me wanting to go for one again. I do like the look of the Kitchenaid equipment though. OH and myself used to work for Whirlpool and my son still does. Have a lovely time Hugs Tricia xx

      Delete
  2. You stay safe as well Trish. And Merry Christmas to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Theresa I hope you do too especially in these uncertain times Hugs Tricia x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts