Saturday Roundup

 We had another lay in this morning until a little Jack Russell grumbled that she wanted to go out.  Still made a nice change.

Since then have been looking through a couple of my book s from the stash, researching some wines to make in this coming year,  The book is very fragile and has split but I intend to pop it into plastic sleeves and pop it into a Lever Arch file to make sure I can still keep on using the recipes.  I have already done this with a couple of books that have collapsed with use.  It does not look it but the pages are splitting as you turn a page.











I had not appreciated that this little recipe book is a sister publication to the Farmers Weekly Recipe books.  I have had this book for sometime as well.  I have a couple of the Farmers Weekly recipe books and the fermented mincemeat recipe  which was introduced to me by my friend Bovey Belle originally comes from here.  There are some very interesting recipes many of which hold good today.

I have also dragged out a couple more of my books to have a look at later on.  Some of them are to do with preserving, some to do with cheesemaking and probably tomorrow, I am going to have a play with a recipe for 50:50 wholemeal/plain bread buns. My friend Tracy from Our Smallholding Adventure for her blog.  

Also, on Instagram 

https://www.instagram.com/our_smallholding_adventure/

I love wholemeal but OH not so keen even though that is what he is meant to eat.  I am going to be using my table mixer for doing this.  It will give me time to find my bread prover as well, (Homemade) with the aid of an electric heat mat and a plastic tub with a lid and a baking rack x 2.

There are lots of things I want to get on with at the moment in the kitchen, but on a practical basis I cannot.  I am waiting for a couple of more things to happen and click into place before I can start.  This is where I get frustrated. Hopefully will happen next week.

OH has decided I am not to cook tonight and he is treating me to some Scampi and Chips.  I love Scampi but in reality probably will not eat many chips (out of his portion) not a separate one.

It is bitterly cold outside.  We have just walked Missy on her constitutional and called in for the Take-away on the way back.  It looks as though it may snow, although knowing our luck that only usually happens when it is bad outside of town in the surrounding villages.  Everyone seems to have snow but us.  It has certainly been cold enough.  The cold we are having at the moment reminds me of when I was a child and the ice used to build up on the inside of the windows and the villages used to get cut off with snow drifts.

Everywhere is well flooded down by the Staunch in Peterborough (which is an area on the River Nene where they tend to do canoe trialling.  The river is near enough to the top of the bank at the moment but I think it may have been higher due to latent water tell tales within the trees.

Right am off for a lazy evening.  More books to peruse and maybe some crochet to keep my hands moving.   They have been playing up a bit with the cold.

Enjoy your evening.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. My mincemeat is in the big earthenware jar, awaiting the move! I used to have that little wine book too, but gave it to my friend Nikki when I stopped making wine a few years back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts