Autumn Days

Its been another day where the weather has been all over the place and is now grey and dull and windy again.  The kind of day where you want to snuggle up by a fire and just chill.  Unfortunately I do not have a fire and no prospect of one here either.  But hey-hoe, things could be far worse.  Needless to say I have had copious amounts of hot chocolate today sprinkled with some Cinnamon.  Very comforting it was too.

I have just got in from being up town.  I am cold, very cold despite having had one of my winter coats on.  I ended up going out again as the dog needed walking.  However I have not been out since.

I had gone into town as I had run out of whole nutmeg, ginger and ground cloves.  



Whilst out I also picked up some persimmons to make either a jelly or a jam. I had been looking at some recipes earlier on today and it became quite clear that I would need some preserving jam for some of the proposed projects.  I do not normally keep this in house, but for these projects it is very much needed.  I ended up buying three bags.  Two I know I need for definite and the third is a spare at the moment.  If I need any more will have to go back later in the week.



I also picked up some white chocolate chips, some liquid glucose, and some cake decorating bits to add to the Christmas bits and bobs pile. 



The other day I also bought Dried Apricots to make Delia's Apricot and Orange Chutney which is one of my favourites.  The recipe link is here: 

Apricot and Orange Chutney

I also bought dried Figs in readiness for making Pan de Higo, which is used as an accompaniment to a cheese board and is made of Figs and Almonds.  The link is here:

Pan de Higo  



This evening I have set about finishing the Pear Butter I started yesterday. I did not know what to expect as I have never had a fruit Butter before.  I have to say that I am quite taken with it and if I can make it shelf-stable can envisage a lot of uses for this.  I will pop up a post for this and some photos of what I have done.  It has been a learning process but if you have a slow cooker it makes it that much easier as you can leave it to get on with things and get on with other stuff whilst it is cooking.  I have water bathed the two jars of preserve I have achieved from 3lb of pears for 10 minutes once boiling point is achieved. I must say that it is lovely and I can see it being used on toast, on muesli, to mix cakes with, on yogurt, on pancakes, in cakes with either buttercream of whipped cream, on rice pudding or semolina.  I am keen to try other versions of this as well.  



OH did not tell me but last night he watched a new series of Return to the Chateau with Dick Strawbridge and his family. I therefore caught up with it on Channel 4 catch up.  Basically they were restoring the Preserves Pantry at the Chateau as well as the roof.  By the time that they had finished the Preserves Pantry, it was gorgeous.  It is the sort of Pantry that I would love one day.

Still lots of things afoot here on the preserving front, including recipes have never tried before. There have been a few of them. Still loads to do though.

The Mincemeat has been made, I have Pickled Peppers, made Mint Sauce and loads of other goodies. I have Chilli jam and Chilli jelly to make as well as Jalapeno Jelly and Salsa. Plum Jelly, Plumbrillo, Quince in Syrup, Membrillo, Pickled Shallots and more Pickled Peppers to do as well as some Apple Butter and Spiced Apple Butter and Persimmon Jam or Jelly.

It will keep me out of mischief.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. This is Wales - we are lucky to get any sort of ordinary preserving sugar here, but this IS Wales and we are in a different part of it now too. Carmarthen was better served than Llandod is.

    It sounds like you are having great fun with all your preserves anyway. Two years' worth of chutneys, at least!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were only a few bags on the shelf yesterday. Everybody seems to have been hitting the shops and buying no end on top of the issues with delivery, Covid and Transport. My local Co-Op has had too many empty spaces as well but they streamlined what they sold about 18 months or so ago so cannot get everything. I have also found that shopping for bits in the week means I often get stuff by being selective and only buying a few items as at the weekend there is very little left. I am really enjoying the cooking and the preserving at the moment. I give some away to family and friends in any event. OH is more into the pickles than I as they are his sweeties with him being diabetic. I use chutney in stews and baking as well. I just love preserving stuff xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts