Saturday Roundup

What a rough night.  Better here than a lot of places and as we are in a City more protected. Nevertheless, the wind is still very rough. My hearts go out to those without power at the moment and hope they are managing to keep warm and safe.

Is it me but are we starting to have more rough storms than we used to have, or is it that much more is made of this than it used to be.  I am not sure, but I suspect global warming has something to do with it somewhere along the line.  I think we are all contributing in some way or another, often innocently.

I really enjoyed my evening out last night.  It kind of was peaceful and wonderful all at the same time.  Something for the senses and to calm us down, taking us out of ourselves for those few precious moments of time.  A visual celebration of all things light, and leading up to the seasonal celebrations that are Christmas.  Peterborough Cathedral is a very beautiful Cathedral with loads of history attached to it and there is a lot of history under the streets as well that people are not necessarily aware of.

I remember the first Christmas we spent in Peterborough, and the Junior School I attended, took us to the Cathedral for the Christingle Service.  It is memorable and magical for me, as it was a dark winter's afternoon where we were all presented with a Christingle "the light of the world" and the Cathedral was lit by candle light.  It is funny what sticks in your mind and memories. That memory was reactivated yesterday after my trip to the Cathedral which really does look ethereal and magical by candlelight.

Whilst I am sat here writing this post I am listening to the moaning of the rough wind, and also indulging in a proper milky coffee.  Part of it was made with ground coffee in the Cafetiere and the rest boiled frothy milk.  Not too strong, and lovely and warming on this cold winter's day, for sure it is winter with the weather we are having at the moment.

This morning we ventured out to the Butcher's to stock up with meat for a few days at least.  OH is a little fed up of chicken, but he chose to have and buy in Chicken wings yesterday, so it is not me over-dosing him on chicken.  




I have just been using up what I had without wasting anything.  The remains of the stew are in the fridge.  I am not wasting that.  I had two bowlfuls yesterday which were warming and very tasty.  Will prove useful of a lunchtime certainly for me if not for HRH.  

At the Butcher's we came away with a wholemeal loaf, a tray of eggs, some gravy mixes, a Lincolnshire Plum loaf.  I am going to make one shortly, but had a yen for some of this very rich fruit loaf spread with butter, a lump of cheese and an apple.  Something relevant and constant from my childhood, and somehow comforting. I have needed the comfort today.  I also bought in two Rib Eye steaks for tea this evening (to be served with some homemade chips and a fried egg for a change).




I also bought beef mince (and will probably make a Lasagna, as we had Cottage Pie last week), stewing steak (Beef Bourgignon is on the agenda); I also have some beef steak that I bought in during the week, so that is going into an ordinary beef stew as well to keep HRH happy.  I also bought in another chicken, some different recipes planned for this week.  Another large chicken like the one I bought last week (stupid not to buy one as I can get so much out of it). I also bought in streaky bacon and some sausages.  There are enough sausages for OH to have a couple of breakfasts during the week; I also bought in streaky bacon for him (I prefer Green-Back bacon, but as I am not eating much did not buy any in for me).  There will be enough sausages for a Toad in the Hole as well which I plan on serving with Colcannon, cabbage and gravy.  I am hoping that with the leftovers from the Chicken that can make a chicken , leek and mushroom pie as well as a mushroom and leek quiche. The carcass will not be going for stock this week, but to a home made Cream of Chicken Soup.  Simple food turned into simple meals which are both tasty and comforting and very warming not just for the body but the soul too.

We are not having a joint tomorrow, however I am preparing a full cooked dinner.  We have a couple of Barnsley chops in the fridge that will form the basis of this. My home made long-keeping mint sauce will come into play here. I might also make a blackberry and apple sponge using some of my blackberry and apple pie mix I made earlier in the year and served with homemade custard.  Next year is going to be very different, I am going to be buying in more preserving jars where I can, and putting away a lot more than I have this year,  It gives you food security and the choice to make a lot of other home cooked puddings and meals.

I just need to top up on a few more veggies.  For the best part I have the majority in, however I am not sure I want to venture out this afternoon.  Days like this make you appreciate having potatoes in the sack, nets of onions, eggs, bacon, sausage and cheese.  Can make quite a few lovely meals with the basics.  Also plenty of chicken stock for soups and stews etc.

There are quite a few things I need to do in the kitchen over the coming days to fill the pantry shelf up a little more.  There are lots of other things I need to do too!

I will need to go to the veg shop in the week for some bits and bobs and I just need some frozen peas and mushrooms at the moment to make sure that I can make what I anticipate making.

It is terribly bitter out at the moment, and the wind is biting as well as blowing a good one.  I am grateful to be in the house in the arm and consider myself very lucky.


Catch you soon.


Pattypan


x


Comments

Popular Posts