Stocking up the food

As mentioned in my earlier post we went shopping today to order the Christmas Turkey and accompanying items and to top up predominantly on meat items for the week although there were a few additions of a different sort.

I managed to find a jar of Medlar jelly which had been reduced. You Tubers English Country Life, Fiona and Hugh had recently posted about Medlars (or dogs arses as they are affectionately known).  I have never tried these let alone seen one in the wild and it has been arousing my curiousity to say the least.  I was therefore pleased to find this jar today so that I can at long last try it out.

We did spend a bit at the Butchery but this is for meals for over a week.  We do not necessarily eat meat every day either.

I bought some Beef skirt to make some home made "Cornish" style pasties very much a comfort food now that the colder weather is on the way.  I was tempted to get some stewing meat as well for a stew; but with everything else I have bought I thought that we could if the need arises go to the local Butcher for this.  The meat did look good though.

A tube of Lincolnshire style sausage-meat to make some home made sausage rolls.  I bought in a pack of pastry earlier on as well, so this will make a savoury treat to have over the weekend.  Sometimes you need the snacks and with this being savoury OH will be able to have.

A couple of hefty Garlic Kievs.

Some steak mince for either a Lasagna or a cottage pie.  Not sure which one yet.  I am veering towards the Lasagna as I love pasta and Italian food in any event.

I have bought sausage, Green Back Bacon and Green Streaky bacon so his Highness can have a breakfast if he would like one.  Have only bought a few of each.

A Two Rib of Beef hopefully for Sunday dinner this week, but knowing me it could be Monday.  Depends how things go as to whether it is Sunday or Monday.  We will be having it though.  This is a real treat.

I also bought a couple of Cornish pasties and Sausage rolls for us both to have mid-day which were very tasty.

Two small Fillet steaks.

A Romanesco for veg for Sunday or Monday dinner.

A couple of Custard Apples.  Never had these before so this will be interesting.

Some pudding rice as I had run out.


We have had the fillet steaks cooked medium rare, this evening for tea together with home made chips, exotic mushroom mixture and fried onions.  Has gone down very well and it is lovely to cook with such nice ingredients as it makes the job easier to cook.  It was absolutely delicious.  I am now completely stuffed.








I have also received delivery of the sack of potatoes I ordered and paid for from the Veg shop the other day.  These are going to be stored in the cool under the stairs out of the way.  On average a sack of potatoes lasts me approximately six weeks and that is with me not using potatoes every day.  This is a generic bag which I can use for all round cooking.  We do like the Rooster potatoes and every so often I bring in a couple of small bags of these to make a change.

I need more onions for general cooking and also for more preserves and I am hoping to source those tomorrow.  They will be kept in the trolley in the main pantry out of the way of my other veg.  Onions give off a gas that can age other veggies a lot quicker so they do not need storing in the same area.

I also treated myself to what I thought was a miniature set of cookie cutters depicting Rudolph with Santa's sleigh.  I was very surprised to find that they were full sized and I had only paid £5 for them. I suspect that they should be a lot more than this.





So really chuffed with these.  Now to find my miniature star cutters as I have a recipe I want to road test.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. That looked a very tasty meal. You have some lovely meals planned for the week.

    Medlars are trees which are deliberately planted - I doubt you would find one in the wild. They are slow growing, and make me think of Tudor times.

    The 3D sleigh and reindeer will be fun to make up for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts