Knitting a pair of socks with cable stitch




I have picked up a project that I had done the rib on this evening, A UFO I found lurking in the front room which as a kit picked up from Aldi a while back.  As I was sat down to watch a film in any event, and cannot sit without having something going on in my hands,  I have been knitting, listening and watching TV. I have managed to knit the back of the sock, including managing the cable pattern and managing the cable needle.  The heel shaping has been worked and I have been able to follow the pattern relatively well.  I now have to knit the foot itself and do the toe shaping.  Need to do some measuring first to accomplish that little technicality.

I am quite chuffed with myself as I have got stuck in and tackled the pattern.  I have only followed the cable pattern once before and that is on a pair of mittens, and I went wrong.  That is also in the UFO box.  The jumper, and the blanket are not yet finished.  I would say though that the blanket itself seems to have given me a bit more confidence with the knitting and a bit more speed without compromising the stitches or the knitting itself.  Yes my knitting needs some work, primarily on the rib, but I also need to check up on making stitches as I am quite happy doing a knit stitch increase not so much a purl stitch increase.  I think generally my knitting is neat, but it is the rib that bothers me the most.



I am not going to give in though.  I like proper socks and it would be nice to have some nice socks to wear on a daily basis.  I have seen several producers of woollen skeins for socks that I really would like to indulge in.  Will see how we get on with these first and then get the other knitting bits out of the way before starting something else.  I am quite enjoying my little excursion into knitting and it has surprised me somewhat.  I have a long way to go, but little by little I seem to be getting there.

This is the top back part of the right leg of the  sock together with the cable detail.

The second photo shows the Heel shaping, you end up decreasing so many stitches on each row and then working the way round the corner under the foot shaping you start to increase the heel again by making stitches.



Will see how this progresses, it is early days yet.  Would be nice to get them turned around within a couple of days though and be able to wear them.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Oh those socks are just adorable <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the pattern for the socks, lots of wool left over from my weather scarf, and a set of circular needles (borrowed from my daughter) But these are not UFO socks, they are totally a unstarted project. I really must "pull my socks up" and get going. Your cable work is great. I look forward to seeing them all done. BTW, in the past I have been pleased with Regia sock wool. Yesterday I was wearing some Regia socks I made at least ten years ago! They wash and wear very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed. I have socks on the needles from years ago, but I got distracted by something else. Try this link for casting on - looks like it might solve your problems. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtgT64UQMZQ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts