Repeat of an Old Faithful


Went down to do some sorting in the kitchen.  Ended up cooking an Old Faithful here, Cottage Pie.  Couple of hours later after doing some washing up and then prepping tea, ended up with another pile of washing up which I will tackle shortly. I am not a keen fan of washing up but there is a need for it!

It has been a cold and dreary day here in Peterborough.  I like playing in the kitchen, and I had planned on a fancy topping for the Cottage Pie, but I could not locate the specific bit of equipment I was looking for and I therefore ended up just doing it in my normal fashion.  With my cooking I go for taste more than anything else.  My presentation skills could do with a little refining,  but it is an honest try each time.






This is a quarter serving each.  All made out of 1lb of mince, 2 carrots, 1/2 a leek and two small onions. I always make a gravy with the mince and veggies, but not that much that it drenches it.  Also mashed potatoes have a little butter, milk and cream.   However, you do need the potatoes fairly stiff as if they are too soft that is when it starts dripping off the dish.  I also add a good quantify of grated Cheddar cheese.  I like a strong Cheddar cheese as I find it gives a lot more flavour, but I know a lot of people do not.

Technically this is a serving for four on its own for a one meal only.  However you could potentially squeeze it to six, if you serve with plenty of vegetables and gravy. OH has the option of more if he wants it, but potentially there is another meal each for us during the day tomorrow. 





Needless to say it has gone down very nicely indeed.

I am planning on stew for tomorrow's tea. I have Beef skirt, carrots, leek, onion for this.  I might also make some Lentil soup tomorrow with the rest of the carrots and onions and pop that in the fridge for during the week.  Might also make some chicken noodle soup so that we have options. You need substantial food when it is cold, miserable and damp.

Hope everyone has a lovely evening.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts