I have been Food shopping

It has been a drizzly, grey and cold day here in Peterborough today.  A proper yukky day. I hate damp days.

Therefore on the shopping front, it has been a general topping up day.  Not loads of stuff, just for the next few days.  My shopping habits have changed, but more of that in a later post. 

First starting with the veg shop, buying cabbage, Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Leeks on the veggie front. I still have potatoes, cauliflower, parsnips, some carrots and onions left  On the fruit front some bananas, apples, two Grapefruit, oranges.  Also a tray of eggs which is now up to £5.50 in price but this will normally last me about two weeks including eating and baking. I spent roughly £12 at the veg shop.

Also nipped to the local Supermarket bought in a tray of Raspberries, Spring Onions, Courgettes, Carrots, two sweetcorn that had been reduced, a Hispi sweetheart cabbage, frozen petit-pois, more Bananas, and Broccoli.  A portion of Roule and a Crotin of Goat's cheese, a batch seeded brown loaf for me, some double cream and some Raspberries for me to have with my porridge or granola and yogurt. Have also bought some puff pastry to make some cheese and bacon pockets or cheese and onion spirals. There were a few other things I was after as well but they don't sell them anymore!  No matter their loss shall go somewhere else which will probably be cheaper in any event.  Hopefully will be able to get out and about to do this in the next few days. I am after some Chia seeds, Quinoa.  I have this urge for kipper fillets to be served with poached egg and bread and butter, with melon for afters.  Have had a craving for this for a few weeks.  Hopefully will be able to put this to bed soon.  It is a meal that means a lot to me as it is one that I used to have at my Aunt Rene's home when I used to stay there as a child.  Simple delicious food but a whole host of memories.

I also had a Trip to the Asian store but they did not have what I was after in store at the moment. I was after Rice Pudding Mix, Sago, Tapioca, Golden Raisins, tinned cream, and some other herbs and spices.  I have been topping up a few at a time as I go along.  I do still need to go into town though for some other bits and bobs namely Arrowroot more Marigold powder (a big tub), Cornflour, amongst other things. As I was out of yogurt, I bought a large canister of Onken plain yogurt for a change. I normally make this myself.  Will make some more of my own, this week with some of it as the starter, but this particular cannister is required for some smoothies, a cake and some breakfasts.  I also bought some Coconut oil and a small bar of Milky Bar white chocolate.

Whilst passing, I also nipped to the local Asian meat store for some Piri Piri chicken wings for OH.  He likes them - they are not my thing and therefore that is what he is having for his tea this evening.

A big pack of spiced chicken wings.  There is £5 worth here but you can buy them in the quantity you want.


All sorted out on the tray for cooking.



Ready to take out of the oven.



All ready for himself to eat.




I will have either the Roule or the Goat's cheese served on the wholemeal seeded batch loaf with some of my Pecans and honey that I popped up a while back.  It is a while since I have had this and I am therefore very much looking forward to it.  We have a wedge each of melon to have for pudding.




Tomorrow, we have a large joint of Topside for Sunday Dinner/Tea which is one of the reasons I wanted some more veggies. I plan on doing roasties (potatoes, onion and parsnip) and mash with this, Purple Sprouting Broccoli, carrots, peas, with lots of gravy.

OH had nipped to Morrisons the other day and come back with the aforementioned Topside joint (it is ages since we have had Beef or certainly feels like it).  He also came home with some sausage and bacon (after the disastrous sausage day).  We had a fry up for tea last night using this and some baked beans and eggs with bread and butter.  The sausages were a lot better than the day before!

I still have some sausages left and intend to do a roasted tray bake with veggies for either Monday or Tuesday, depends on how the Beef pans out.  I have courgettes, onion, garlic, peppers, parsnip, beetroot, leek, broccoli, sweetcorn and carrots all ready for this.

If OH manages to get some nice Ham again, I will make a Leek and Ham dish for another tea this week, which also has a cheese sauce with it.  Quite a simple dish which have not tried before, but which I am looking forward to trying.

I also have some ideas for some baking during the week, perhaps making some of it in a double batch in order that we have plenty to go at.  I bought extra bananas as a result of this.  OH is partial to Bananas but I cannot eat them raw as they make me poorly; a real shame as I do like them.  Food sensitivities.

The menu for the next few days is therefore:

Tonight:

Himself: Piri-Piri chicken wings, followed by a wedge of Melon.

Me: a couple of slices of either Goat's cheese or Roule cheese spread on wholemeal seeded batch bread with honey and pecan dressing with some mixed salad leaves.

Sunday:

Roast Topside Beef, mashed potato, roast potato, roast onion, roast parsnip, carrots, petit-pois, Purple Sprouting Broccoli, and cauliflower with lots of gravy. Followed by Apricot Cobbler with either cream, custard or ice cream.

Monday:

May be a repeat of Sunday.

If this is the case the next meal will be

Tuesday:

Sausage and roasted vegetable tray bake.

Wednesday:

Leek, Ham and Cheese bake.

Pudding: Blackberry and Apple sponge.

Thursday:

Chicken stir-fry using up any left-over vegetables in the fridge.

Pudding: Blackberry and Apple yogurt pots.

Nice mix of meals for the next few days.

Also have some soups to make as well to grab and go out of the fridge for as and when. Probably a mixed vegetable soup, a Lentil soup, and probably a Tomato soup as well.

Grateful for a bit more choice on meals at the moment and making the most of what we do have.

Hope you all have a lovely evening.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Looking forward to hearing your shopping changes post. As you know, that's been on my mind too. Take care, Tracy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy, post up under "Bits and Bobs" x You take care too x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts