Rhubarb and Strawberry

Last night I set too and made some Rhubarb and Strawberry pie filling for the Pantry shelf loosely using the recipe on Healthy Canning Recipe link here: Rhubarb and Strawberry Pie Filling  For my efforts I managed to produce 7 pints of Pie filling.  I did not use thickener in this (and as a result some of the juice is segregating in the jars) but will thicken up the mixture with some Arrowroot once I have decided what the final recipe for the jar is going to be and vary the thickening as required.  When I learned to cook at school many years ago it was common for pastry flans to be made with fresh fruit and then the syrup from the fruit used to be thickened up with Arrowroot to give the mixture some form but also a lovely glaze.   The beauty of mixes like these is that you can always use them on your breakfast cereal as well i.e. with Muesli, Granola, with some yogurt.

I am quite pleased with how these have turned out and as I have still a load more Rhubarb may look to repeat the process so I have more jars available to me.


1.5 kilo Prepped Rhubarb


1.5 kilo Prepped Strawberries



A little sugar was added to the Rhubarb which was then cooked down on its own first.  Then Strawberries were added until simmering then took pan off stove.



All decanted into nice hot jars as I was using a hot bubbling mix.  Rule is if cold packing use cold water in the water bath and if hot packing use hot water otherwise if you use hot with cold Thermic shock might end up shattering the jars.  After all the effort of making, you certainly do not want this to happen.



All processed.  All the seals "popped"




The rest of the day looks as though it is going to be busy as well.  I have fresh Beetroot to cook for pickled Beetroot and also Tomatoes to roast for some Pasta sauce for the Pantry shelf.  I also have Apple sauce to prep and process as well.  I have the base ingredients for Piccalilli as well.  Just need to grab a few more items to add and I should also be able to get this started during the week as well.

There are also a load of other items to be prepared and processed. I had a bit of a field day at the Veg shop, Layby man and also a few things from the local supermarket. As a matter of course, I am dealing with the more fragile items first.  Hopefully a few other items will also get sorted in the process.

No matter what, it will be a few extra jars of food for the Pantry shelf.

I hope to get sorted with some soup, more stock, chick peas, Ratatouille and carrots during the week too.  Then I may have a look at some sauces.

Right am off to "do my thing".  Perhaps catch up later on.

Have a lovely day.

Catch up soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts