Kitchen Tales

Well I eventually got into my kitchen yesterday at 4:00pm and that is when the games began.

Achieved on Monday afternoon from 4:00pm

I started by doing the washing and drying up which had been missed due to me serving tea late last night. (Sunday).  By the time I had finished tea I was well tired and just needed a sit down which I got. My back was kicking off somewhat.  Due to the shenanigans with the Dog last night and being late up this morning everything got back-tracked.

Once the washing up had been dealt with and the drying I then set too with the work in hand.

There was still gravy in the Ninja inner pot from making the gravy from the juices from the chicken the night before and so I decanted that into two separate pots.  The gravy is needed for the Chicken Pot Pie I am making but needed to chill.  If there is any leftover it will also go into the stew.

Started off with stripping yesterday's chicken.  Recovered lots of meat from it to add to the leftover chicken from the first bird.  There is going to be plenty for the pie (together with the veggies) and also for the chicken stew/chicken noodle soup.  So well chuffed about that.  All the ingredients are now in the fridge ready making the pie tomorrow.

Made the Pastry and that is cooling in the fridge.  Have made enough to make Chicken Pot Pie, Egg Custard, Apple Pie and some Mince Pies and Coconut Cheesecakes.  That should do for a day or two.

Then popped the carcasses and bones into the Ninja together with carrot, onion, pepper, leek, herbs and bay leaves. and have made 4 litres of stock.  Currently cooling down and will be dealt with tomorrow.

Made scones - used a larger cutter this time, which I could not locate before.  Much happier with the size of these and they were very yummy.  Managed to get 15 large Scones out of the mixture.  These were really yummy.  Last time I made them, I forgot to put the Baking powder in and they did not rise very much, but these have not done too badly.  The recipe for the Scones is here:

Scone Recipe

This is a really good recipe I think.  Not too sweet, and produces quite a few Scones.  It is a double batch recipe that I use all the time.  I intend to make some plain ones over Christmas and serve them with cream and some of my homemade jam.  Also intend to do the same with some Scotch Pancakes.  Easy and simple to make but oh so very tasty to accompany an ad hoc tea or indeed when you have visitors. Ever so easy to make up and cook too.

Made Two Banana Loaves as well.  Post up on that a bit later on.

Then I nipped to the shop as I needed a bit more veg.  Came away with a bag of Brussel Sprouts, 2 bags of carrots and two bags of Courgettes.  Still need Cauliflower and Broccoli and maybe some peas.  Plan on making Cheese and Broccoli soup and also French Onion Soup.

By the time I came back the pressure cooker had discharged its steam and vented and was able to open the lid.

Then set too and started preparing chips for G and cooking them.  He has just had egg and chips for tea tonight followed by one of the Scones.  I had a fried egg sarnie and a scone.  Both have gone down very nicely.

Because of all the activity on the worktop I had the Ninja and the Chip Pan on at the same time.  Decided to leave the Stew/Chicken Noodle soup until tomorrow.  Will then make the pie and other pastry items once pastry nicely chilled.

Tuesday Morning

Left to do this morning is a bit of tidying up (allowing myself a day on the cooking only had from 4:00pm until 6:30pm last night).  So will be back to cooking again this afternoon.

I will however be putting a couple of bread loaves on.  One white I think and one half and half.  Having the bread machines on will take up most of the counter.  That is why tidying up the worktop is the first thing to do so that everything else can be dealt with in turn.  Have to juggle everything as I only have a small amount of counter space.  Fortunately for baking I have a large tray which I can pop over the kitchen sink to actually roll out pastry etc.  Where there is a will there is a way to make do.

I did make six batches of 8oz shortcrust pastry yesterday in order to deal with my pies, puddings and tarts. A little bit of batch preparation.  I am starting to prep on batch cooking more and more as I go along. Even if I do not get to everything the pastry will stay in the fridge and can be used later on.  It is stored in foil.

The recipe for the Pastry is a Be Ro one.  I used the following:

8oz Plain flour by preference but you can use SR.  I had to today as I had run out of the Plain flour.

Pinch of Salt

2oz Butter or Margarine

2oz Lard chopped into chunks (important for the Lard in particular as it is denser).

3 Tablespoon of cold chilled water (pop in the fridge)

I find that I get on far better with my mixer when it comes to making pastry, probably because my hands get hot when it comes to making pastry (they are cold otherwise and I mean cold). I also think I have been putting too much water into the mix.  Fingers crossed I have solved the problem on this point.

Flour is basically rubbed into the fats quickly by hand or by using a mixer until all amalgamated and no lumps left. I do stop the mixer inbetween to check and then once the lumps are amalgamated I start adding the cold chilled water a little at a time.  This is important.  Sometimes because of the flour it takes a little more water than the recipe states, but let the mixer do its stuff and the pastry is ready when it starts to clump together in the bowl.  I just then mould it all together wrap in foil and pop in the fridge to chill.


Tuesday Afternoon

Plan of Attack: 

Left to do is:

  • Deal with the Chicken stock
  • Make the Chicken Stew
  • The Chicken Pot Pie
  • The Apple Pie
  • The Egg Custard Tart
  • Coconut Cheesecakes recipe here:
  • Mince Pies
  • Rice Pudding which we are having for tea tonight fresh (I do not like rice pudding after it has come out of the oven and gone cold and prefer it fresh.  I shall serve some of my home preserve Strawberries in syrup with this.

Planning on having the Chicken Pot Pie for tea this evening served with some Brussels and Carrots and gravy.   The pie was made from shortcrust pastry base and top.  Layered chopped up mixed veggies from the other day in base then a thick layer of chicken, some Redcurrant jelly (was supposed to be Cranberry), then a pot of the gravy.  You could also add in some bread sauce and Sage and Onion stuffing.  Just a little adds a lot of flavour too.










Very tasty it was too.  Best bit we have a repeat for tomorrow.  Pastry tasted nice, was crisp, I just need to work on the rolling and presentation skills a bit.  I really enjoyed this.

I plan on having a few left over Brussels so that I can make Bubble n Squeak to have as a side later on in the week.  Will probably serve with a couple of fried eggs on top as well and some Bacon.  Bubble and Squeak is gorgeous served with Pheasant or Chicken as well although I appreciate it is not to everyone's tastes.  With my cooking I try and use ingredients that I can also utilise elsewhere which is another reason why I use vegetables a lot to bulk out a meal in any event and you can always use the leftovers in something tasty.

As this is a fairly lengthy post, I shall update on my progress in a post tomorrow.  I am reasonably pleased with how I got on and there will be some photos.

Plans for Tomorrow at the moment

I did not get to soaking my fruit for the Rick Stein's Fruit Cake last night so need to do this tonight.  It has to soak in tea overnight.  Then I will make this up tomorrow.

Might put the bread machine on to make some buns so that we have the option of some cheese and tomato buns or Tuna and Mayonnaise or Salmon and Cucumber or indeed Egg Mayonnaise.  All useful for something to eat midday.  There is always soup of course.

Right am tired after a really busy day, and cannot wait for photos to download; as I say will update tomorrow.

Hope everyone keeps warm and dry has a lovely evening.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I get tired just reading this. I am not this organized.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts