Christmas is Coming

Christmas is coming and the Geese are Getting Fat
Please put a penny in the old man's hat
If you haven't got a penny a hapenny will do
If you haven't got a hapenny then God Bless you.


How true this year everybody is feeling the pinch, but then I think this will bring a lot more honesty and much more enjoyment of simpler pleasures than in years gone past, and perhaps our younger people will learn a useful lesson and realise that parents are not always able to provide their offspring's every need, but at least they will have a roof over their heads, food on the plate and a warm home. Things that are very important. Today's youngsters have too much choice.

As I am writing this, the wind is howling and rough outside it keeps howling down the chimneys and it is well rough - I should be in bed, but I am conscious I haven't posted for a few days and I did not want regular readers to feel let down or be disasapointed.

My mum told me that when she was young at Christmas they were lucky if they got a present. She was one of 10 children who lived in a two up two down and were quite a respectable family until my granddad did not come home when my youngest uncle was a month old. He was demobbed and did not come home things were tough from thereon in and it was during the second world war. No matter what none of my uncles and aunts have forgotten how tough things were but they were a family and stuck together.

They always got a stocking with fruit and sweets and a brand new penny in - that was their Christms present. One year she was bought a little miniature china tea service and she was carrying it upstairs to safety as she was so chuffed that she fell down the stairs and her present was shattered. For the short time she had that service she loved it well.

Its officially a month to Christmas from today. Now its time to get the skates on with those last minute bits and bobs in preparation for the celebration of Christmas. For me much of what Christmas is about is being with family and loved ones and spending quality time with them and other members you perhaps don't see quite as much as you should rather than the razzmatazz and all the hype that is hoiked about commercially. About sharing a good meal - it need not be the most expensive of ingredients but something that is cooked well and tastes good is often far more enjoyed than something that is over complicated

We ordered our fresh Turkey this last weekend from the butcher consisting of 10lb Turkey or thereabouts, sausagemeat, bacon, gammon joint a joint of beef, sausages and one or two other bits and bobs for £50. We had one last year and it was absolutely wonderful well worth the money. We use Willowbrook Farm at Helpston for most of our meat. They advocate organic and proper methods of looking after livestock - the meat is probably dearer than the supermarket but it has so much more flavour. If you live in the Peterborough area it is well worth a look.

Well I managed to miss stir up Sunday which was this Sunday just gone. Traditionally the last Sunday before the start of Advent which is this coming Sunday. The day when the Christmas pud is mixed, stirred from east to west and every member of the family takes a turn in stirring the pudding and making a wish. My Nan always used to put in a silver sixpence and the person who found the sixpence was meant to have good luck all year through. Happy times times spent with good people who are terribly missed, but who in their turn passed on a legacy and a way of life. Mine will unfortunately now have to be made this weekend when I have a little more time. I have quite a bit of cooking etc to do during the week. Stir up Sunday changes from year to year - next year will be better organised, but with mum having not been well this year (that took over a month out of what I was doing with running backwards and forwards to the hospital to see her). Thankfully now she is well on the mend although she underwent extensive surgery. But we have so much to be grateful for. I still have my lovely mum.

Must get on have to get some shut eye as I have another long day tomorrow.

In case I do not get to post again before Thursday of this week may I wish everyone in the States Happy thanksgiving

Take care every one

Pattyoan

Comments

Popular Posts