Stocking up where I can

 ... in lots of areas really.  However over the past fortnight I have been getting agitated about getting some preserving done.  Things have not gone well this year on that front, mostly due to me being unwell and not up to doing anything.  There is  however still plenty of time left to do so with the access to resources I have locally.  I also have a lot of fruit from last year still in the freezer and on the Pantry shelf. My resources also encompass/include some of the supermarkets, Lay-by sellers, smaller shops, Farm shops.  Unfortunately I do not have access to a proper market.  I am however picking and choosing what ingredients I do buy in.  I tend not to buy in quantity from anyone supplier these days and cherry pick those items I do buy in.  I very much buy the ingredients that we eat.  At the end of the day you have to make the most of what is available to you, and when you can get hold of it.  Last year I did not come across Peaches at a good price.  However this year I managed to gather quite a few to make Five Spice Peaches, Peach and Chilli Chutney and some Peach jam.  I am also keeping an eye out for some Victoria Plums I normally buy in a couple of large trays each year, and usually go to a smallholding out in the Fens not far from Wisbech.  He has not been online so far (Facebook Market Place) and therefore  I shall keep checking back.  I am also after some Damsons this year if possible.  We like Orange and Damson jam and Damson Gin.

Preserving supplies

Love Jars

I have had a bit of a problem with locating my jam jar lids.  I bought in a scuttle full last year from Love Jars and have I been able to find them - nope.  I have therefore succumbed and ordered in a fresh batch of 63mm jam jar lids as it is rather holding up production a bit.  I have bought these from Love Jars.  They have an offer on at the moment for buying in 1kg of jam jar lids for £7.50 per kilo which is approximately 100 lids.  

Link is here for those of you who are interested.

Love Jars 63mm jam jar lids

These have arrived today. Lets hope I do not loose this lot.  I have  purchased these lids before from Love Jars as well as other items and their service has always been very efficient.

The other jar lids will turn up when I do not need them, but that is life.  At least I will have a quantity of lids in-house moving forward even though at this precise moment in time I have no idea where.

Temu


Equally I have also ordered in two large Le Parfait/Kilner style jars, with a capacity of 3 litres from Temu.  They cost me about £13 for the two plus postage which worked out at approximately £15.00 You do have to keep an eye out on the difference in pricing though.  However I am extremely satisfied with the jars that have arrived.  I intend to buy in a few more as with me extending my Pantry storage I need more storage jars that hold a fair quantity.  I also thought that these two jars would be ideal for making Rumtopf, and for macerating fruit in spirit to make homemade Liqueur type drinks such as Blackberry Whisky, Sloe Gin, Damson Gin, even Pickled Eggs .and I am also contemplating of having a go at storing whole fresh eggs in Lime for use in baking etc. during the Winter months.  I have never done this before and it is going to be a whole new learning curve.   I am mindful though with the imminent problems on the Horizon due to diverse unusual weather conditions and the impact this is having universally across the World food crops grain, flours, anything that is fed on grain or to do with grain the prices are going to go up, and we all know what happens when prices go up, in that they never ever tend to go down.  I am therefore trying to weather proof my Pantry and other food storage and do what I can do therefore to minimise costs and ensure that I have a reasonable supply of food for ourselves moving forward. I will therefore prioritise them to ensure supplies.  I rarely buy in bought cake, and tend to make homemade cake, cookies etc. rather than buy in.  I have the equipment which deals with the harder work element of preparing stuff from scratch.  I already have 25kg sacks of flour in-house for bread flour and 16kg bags of both SR Flour and Plain Flour.

I have also bought in 100 x 82mm lids.  These are the large sized lids and fit the Pickle jars that are bought from Aldi or Lidl or other small Delicatessens in order that the jars can be recycled for any kind of preserving.



I have also bought in a 100 jar seals for Mason Jars, Kilner jars etc.  I thought that it was about time I tried them out to see if they will hold up well for preserving food for my Pantry.  I am still waiting for these to arrive.  They are on a slow boat from China delivery (i.e. being sent by land).  Think they will be here relatively soon.



I already have Vinegar and Sugar in stock, as I tend to load up through any one year on this.  They are part of my household basics.  I also have a large quantity of fruit to now process which is in the Freezer as well as a few more besides.  I will be off to the Tallington Farm shop at the end of the month to see what I can locate.

Now that I have the lids I can now get a wriggle on.  More on that in a separate post though.

I stock up where I can, and when I can.  It is an ongoing process during any one year, but when it comes to preserving we can these days technically preserve all year long, (when there is a regular supply to be had) but especially if there are offers on which you are able to take advantage of and whether you are willing to make jams from frozen fruit rather than fresh.  Often it is a lot cheaper to buy the frozen fruit where there are often offers on at places such as Farm Foods. I also make Marmalade from tinned Lemon or Orange Pulp.  Makes about six jars of Marmalade for each can, you then add in about 4lb of sugar.  This year, I have bought in a couple of tins of Ma Made Orange Fine cut Marmalade from Temu at a very good price.  Equally I have bought in a couple of tins of Lemon Marmalade.  The Lemon was sourced from Lakeland. The reason for buying them Mail order is that the resources I had locally have stopped selling them.  It is not cheating using the canned pulp.  It just takes out the hard work. It also makes a decent Marmalade. However I do make Marmalade from scratch often to use up any leftover Citrus fruits from Christmas as well as from Seville Oranges.  Hopefully I will get to these soon and get them turned into a useful preserve for the Pantry shelf. We like Marmalade here however I do not like it chunky.  Lemon is a particular favourite and I also intend to make a Lemon and Ginger version.

Yes I preserve and probably I preserve more than most.  I gather what I can during the year a little at a time and deciding month to month what needs to be made and what I need immediately to buy.  I try and pivot where I can but it is not always possible.  I do cut back on some things in anyone month in order to buy in the base ingredients for making an item, and especially for those items we use a lot of.  Preserves like Tomatoes, Pasta sauces, Apple Sauce, jams, jellies, homemade liqueur style drinks as well as pickles, chutneys, relishes etc.  I do tend to do a little at a time where I can.  I also make up a quantity of homemade Pantry mixes as well.

I have a rule.  I only make what I can make and what we use.  If I can make it, there is not necessarily a need to buy something in.  I know that I do not have the time restraints of many others, however in reality I often work into an evening late when I have a lot of preserving to do. I do try and keep an eye on costs though.

Will see what happens in the next few weeks.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts